Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1 
Firefly85

slowing down and new fin rot

so Jet seems to have a split in his anal fin, and the lower lobe of his caudal fin has what looks like new case of fin rot. I noticed about 2 days ago.
he also rests at the bottom of his tank more.

short version he had been recovering nicely and had new fin growth and was doing great before I went on vacation, and i kept a close eye on him and my other fish after my return. that was mid to end august.
I had noticed some slight color loss but figured it was due to less meal times while i was gone since i did not want my sis to over feed my fish.

i thought after being home for a little over 2 weeks he would have shown more improvement.

here is his pic's before i left

and here he is today in quarrentine tank

I guess my question is besides the new fin rot which i am treating with AQ salt and Ap stress coat is ... Could it be that he is near the end of his life?
his colors look so drab and he hasn't danced for me much either.
I know he is at least 2 years old, could be more tho. anything else i should do?
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 
lvandert

I would bust down and get a medication for the fin rot. Its not necessarily the end of his life either, bettas can live for up to 5 years in the right conditions.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3 
Firefly85

thanks for the reply, but Jet is still not acting him self, i really don't think it is the bit of fin rot that is making him feel so bad, he is sleeping/resting a lot more than he ever has in the short time that i have had him.
he was a rescue.

just wanted some input, i am worried because I do not want him to suffer.

I have moved him to hospital tank and am doing daily water changes with stress coat and Aq salt , but i am not sure what else i can do.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #4 
lvandert

thats pretty much all you can do at the moment. If you have Indian almond leaves or dried oak leaves (if found outside give them a good rinse and get any dirt or who knows what else off) I highly recommend adding that to your tank. The tannins released by the leaves will promote healing and over good health for these little guys. I thought my Patrick was on his last leg and I started giving him IAL with every change and he perked right up and lived another 3 months (he had a stroke and never quite recovered).
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 
Firefly85

Sadly Jet died some time this evening, while i was out picking up my husband from work.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 
lvandert

I'm sorry, you did everything you could for him, maybe it was just his time.