Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #101 
Schwielala

Okay, I'll assume there's no velvet then.

I just did the second dose of medicine today. After 48 hours this time it says to do a partial change (I think it was 25%) and then add your filter back (which I don't have anyway). After I do a partial change, I'm not sure how long I'm supposed to wait to do a full change so he's not in the medicine for too long. Should I just do a full change after the 48 hours, since I don't have a filter/cycled tank?

I also have a question about cleaning. So far I've been washing everything in both hot and cold water (no soap). What other things can I use to clean the tank/ornaments/heaters etc. so I'm not spreading bacteria/fungus etc.? I've heard of using white vinegar (then washing it off well) and I've read about bleach but that bleach is VERY BAD if it comes into contact with the fish, so I think I want to avoid bleach because I don't trust myself to clean it off well enough.

OH! And I opened my new packs of plastic plants last week but they SMELLED so strongly of rubber. I've soaked them in hot water a few times and the smell has definitely decreased, but if I hold them up to my nose, I can still smell them. Do I toss them, or should it be okay? They ARE meant for aquarium use.

Last edited by Schwielala; 09-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #102 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I did the same thing with the new silicone decoration I got...next day put it in the tank and all has been fine so I would say they would be fine to put in.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #103 
teeneythebetta

Vinegar is great for cleaning, but when using it on your tank, be careful it can eat away at the seal.

I wouldn't use bleach on decor personally, but you can use bleach on the tank, rinse it off very well, then let it sit out in the sun to dry completely.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #104 
MSG

• Congratulations, you have also discovered the foul odor of plastic aquarium plants.

• That's the smell of the plastic, not rubber. Not much you can do about it because it's literally in the plastic.
  • I have some plastics that are clearly labeled as manufactured in 1970's and it still has the smell.
  • Live plants generally don't have any odor, unless they're decaying or covered in some mold/fungus.
  • The type of salt people use to eat with, table salt in the can, I clean with it.
  • If you have some of the iodized salt, use that in addition to a old toothbrush to scrub the decorations if you really feel the need to.
  • You could fill a spray bottle of vinegar to use instead of water.

3 safest ingredients I would recommend.
  • Baking soda (you can use the old box that's sitting in the fridge),
  • salt (morton's is perfect.)
  • vinegar (put it in a spray bottle for easier saturation)
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #105 
Schwielala

Blue guy has been doing better still. His fins have finally unclamped although they are more tattered than they were. I just did a full change so he's in regular water again and I gave him his gravel and plants back plus the new plants I got. Now I just have to make sure they don't tear his fins. :(

I have another concern now though. Marijuana. The guy downstairs smokes sometimes and the smell wafts up into my apartment. It's mostly just been annoying, but now that I have fish I'm worried that their air/water will get contaminated from it. Seriously, if I lose my fish because of some jerk after I've been working so hard for them (and getting attached), I'll strangle the guy myself.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #106 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwielala View Post
Blue guy has been doing better still. His fins have finally unclamped although they are more tattered than they were. I just did a full change so he's in regular water again and I gave him his gravel and plants back plus the new plants I got. Now I just have to make sure they don't tear his fins. :(

I have another concern now though. Marijuana. The guy downstairs smokes sometimes and the smell wafts up into my apartment. It's mostly just been annoying, but now that I have fish I'm worried that their air/water will get contaminated from it. Seriously, if I lose my fish because of some jerk after I've been working so hard for them (and getting attached), I'll strangle the guy myself.
Oh my gawd Idk how you can deal with that! I smell it all the time at school it's so disgusting.

Maybe discuss it with the person in charge of the apartments?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #107 
ao
TFK Moderator

urk, yeah it's disgusting... I visited a friend of my bf's in the bay area. And he had a room that reeked of the stuff.... I had to quickly step outside before I threw up...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #108 
MSG

Unless you want to get the guy evicted.... type up a letter, NOT a written note to inform him that you can smell the grass burning & you have some allergy to the smoke. Ask him to please try find other places to partake in his activity or you will contact the building management.

If it happens again, leave a 2nd letter, letting him know it's still a problem.

Still causing issues after a 2nd warning, then report him to management.

• I would HIGHLY recommend having a VISITING friend slip the letter under the door. You don't want him to know it's you.

Another option is to call the police if you don't want to deal with the typing or printing.

In my town you end up with a $100-$200 fine.

It's always best to handle these things in a civilized manner instead of turning to the boys in blue.

Good luckie
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #109 
Schwielala

Thanks for the advice. Ironically, the police station is our back yard.

These fish just don't want me to win though. Tank Two which still has two fish has been healthy and now today I see white strings sticking up above their eyes, one above each eye. Just one little short string each. They otherwise seem healthy. Is it another fungus? Parasite?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #110 
Schwielala

Well I've got a disease thread going for tank two (it looks like they might have a parasite like anchor worms, and possible ick forming)

Tank one with the lone blue guy healed up after the fungal infection. His fins are nice and open again, but today I noticed his gills look like they might be burned. He always had red marks on his gills on the same spot on both sides (the other blue one always has too), so I thought they were just markings. Today, though, they looked more like open sores or burns. They looked like scraped skin. I tested for ammonia and it looks like it's .25, but everytime/anytime/anywhere I've used the ammonia strip test, its always looked like .25 so it might not be accurate. Maybe more experienced eyes could help?

He's been acting really happy. I filled his tank with plants and he's always swimming around. When someone goes up to the tank he swims right over and looks back at you.