Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm on anxiety meds too but I'm trying to wean myself off of it. The first couple of weeks on it was horrible. It made me feel crappy before it made me feel better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #22 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4353 View Post
You do could do a project when he is away like a new fish tank or knitting, as suggested above. Seeing a pet store betta in the cup then making him feel better, you could make yourself feel better. Don't worry about being alone though, cause we ALL on this forum want to talk to you!! 😃
:...)
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #23 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Yup, we're here for you. Since I'm a lot older than a lot of you I feel like some of you are my kids. Lol
Also :...)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #24 
BettaQi

I am so glad everyone feels safe to be open and vulnerable here.

It's lovely to know that people are reaching out to each other.

Finnfinn and drama queen I had horrible horrible PTSD for 2 years after 9-11 bc My apt was across the river from Ground Zero. And I had been raped the year before. And I had carpal tunnel syndrome the year before that.

It was just a bad bad time for a few years.

They tried me on Paxil which was a bad fit. Then Zoloft on the lowest dose which worked for a couple of years. Then I weaned off of it.

Therapy helped especially EMDR and EFT (emotional freedom technique) which incorporates acupressure points to help the body readjust and unlearn negative stress patterns.

There is a free EFT manual at eft universe.

Highy recommend along with yoga and qi gong (YouTube has great examples of water dragon qi gong which reduces physical symptoms of stress--water dragon is one of my favorites).

Happily I have become an EFT practitioner and yoga and qi gong teacher, so I help other people deal with anxieties on a daily basis now.

You are amazing people, and it it just a matter of learning a new skillet. Just like rescuing bettas--at first it seems overwhelming, then it gets easier and easier.

All best wishes to everyone on the thread, and thanks for creating a wonderful caring community.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

BettaQi, I'm so sorry about all you've been through and I'm glad you found some things that are helping you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #26 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
BettaQi, I'm so sorry about all you've been through and I'm glad you found some things that are helping you.
+1
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #27 
ballyhoo

when my anxiety was at it's worst, my dr suggested the strangest thing but it worked! He said do normal daily tasks with your nondominant hand, like brushing your teeth, eating, combing your hair etc... He said it makes you concentrate on what you are doing and instills a sense of control over the situation.
ballyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #28 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballyhoo View Post
when my anxiety was at it's worst, my dr suggested the strangest thing but it worked! He said do normal daily tasks with your nondominant hand, like brushing your teeth, eating, combing your hair etc... He said it makes you concentrate on what you are doing and instills a sense of control over the situation.
This is a great idea!

Totally rewiring the brain.

Have you heard of Kodo, the Japanese taiko drummers?

I used to spend time with them and they all eat using their non dominant hand. Even using hashi (chopsticks)!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #29 
finnfinnfriend

I will try the hand thing! Sounds fun lol
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #30 
TheCrabbyTabby

Isn't there an old saying that goes "Idle hands are the Devil's playground."? Maybe taking up something that requires a lot of intricacy and concentration, like model making, or painting, will help ease that anxiety. It will also give you the excuse to use the non dominate hand thing as well.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote