Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 
fantasiip

Unhappy Curled Fins, Slow, Sad looking D:

I feel so terrible, because I bought him during a spur of the moment type thing. Usually I do research, but I had a goldfish before so I thought I was ok.

He had curled fins when I got him, but they were spread out and pretty, so I got him. He was a little shy, but lively. He ate as soon as I dropped his three pellets in. I've only had him for one day and a half, but you can see what he looked like when I got him. The second pic is what he looks like now.

Apparently these fish are more sensitive than goldfish. These are the things I know I did wrong, after I read the forum.
-Temp in the room was 60
-Small bowl
-Used water bottle water

His appearance doesn't matter as much as his health does, and I need to get him in tip top shape! He kinda has black on his fins too. I need to know what kind of tank I need, what kind of food, what kind of medicine, EVERYTHING!

His fins are badly curled and he's moving really slow. He still eats, but idk what to do! It's not his fault I messed up and I don't want him to die because of me. D: HELP
Attached Images

fantasiip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi there. 60 will soon kill a betta. please find the warmest room in your house and situate him there for now.

you will need:
  • water conditioner. I recommend prime then stress coat
  • aquarium salt. for treating fin rot
  • Heater. preferable an adjustable 25w
  • 1g + tank.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #3 
fantasiip

Thank you. I may be making a trip to Wal Mart tonight.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Okay, calm down and breathe.

Their fins curl due to hard water. Do you know the hardness of your water? It really doesn't hurt them.

Secondly, get him a bigger tank. Smallest I would say that is easy to care for is a 3 gallon. You can get a Marineland 3 gallon Crescent for $35-$40 at Petsmart and it comes with the tank, filter, and LED light. It's really nice. Just make sure to baffle the filter since it's kinda strong for bettas, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it :P. With a 3 gallon with a filter you can do two 50% changes per week. One with a good gravel vacuum and the other with just a cup and scoop water out.

Now you need a heater. One with a thermostat on it, not the preset ones. I like to set mine at 80-81 degrees. You will also need a thermometer. Not a stick on, but one that is suction cupped or magnetic to the tank.

Next is water conditioner. Many users on here will recommend Prime. Each time you do a water change add conditioner to the new water to get rid of the harmful metals and chemicals. I believe Prime is 1 drop treats one gallon.

Those are the basic necessities of having a betta. Of course other things will come in handy as well; gravel vacuum, liquid test kit such as API Freshwater Master, decorations, etc.

I hope this gives you a good idea as to what basic betta care is. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :)
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #5 
whiskandbowl

If you can find them at your walmart, Kritter Keepers are a good temporary tank. The medium size holds about 2 gallons, which is large enough for most heaters. Be sure to get an adjustable one.

Also get a thermometer so you can measure the temp of your tank.

Good luck!
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Walmart has some pretty cheap tanks. if you want less work in the long run. Id recommend to grab a 5 gallon and cycle it.
go for a tank that is wider. as opposed to higher, for more horizontal swimming space.

If you are making a mass purchase tonight. you can also get some soft leaved soft silk plants, and somewhere for the fish to hide.

either way, your fist priority is a heater :)
you can find some good brands of betta food at petco. New Life Spectrum, Omega one or Hikari biogold
goodluck
Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 
fantasiip

Thank you so much. I can't believe I did this to the poor fella.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

hows he doing?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 AM   #9 
TheCheese909

Everyone has pretty much covered it. If you have the room you could even do a 10 gallon since PetSmart (if you have one local) has 10 gallon aquarium kits for $30

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453

When buying decor and plants make sure you dont buy any with sharp edges as his fins will shred. If you can, look for silk plants, these are soft and are much better then plastic plants for these guys. Make sure you get enough so he doesn't feel too exposed (they love plants).
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #10 
Laki

Everyone covered the main issues. You will need a strict water cleaning schedule though when you pick up a new tank:
1-3g- one 50% change and one 100% change per week
5g- cycled, one 50% change a week and regular gravel and glass cleanings.
less as the gallons go up, provided the filtration is adequate. (but I don't have experience with larger tanks)

Plants and caves are essential so he has something to do- hide and explore. Once his water is clean and warm he should pick up.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curl, curled fins, fins, sick