Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Feeding amounts should be completely based on observation.
If your betta can pass food regularly and does not gain too much weight while you're feeding 6-8 pellets, then that's ok.
If you betta becomes bloated and overweight you reduce the amount; if he's too skinny then you increase.
I feed a lot of food to my bettas but they all get daily flaring which helps them get a bowel movement and I adjust based on how much weight they loose or gain.
All my fish are very healthy and I know very experienced breedersmwho feed more than I do.
Thank you very much :). One more question. Do you recommend feeding once daily?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #12 
Leafygreens

Quote:
Feeding amounts should be completely based on observation.
If your betta can pass food regularly and does not gain too much weight while you're feeding 6-8 pellets, then that's ok.
If you betta becomes bloated and overweight you reduce the amount; if he's too skinny then you increase.
I feed a lot of food to my bettas but they all get daily flaring which helps them get a bowel movement and I adjust based on how much weight they loose or gain.
All my fish are very healthy and I know very experienced breedersmwho feed more than I do.

Excellent information. I wish this was stated more often...I've only seen it in one other place. I think it's great to say 2-3 pellets is an appropriate amount for one feeding, because it gives total newbies like me an idea of how little food these guys generally need to take in, but it seems like there has to be a point where you allow for some customization. Otherwise you end up underfeeding one fish and overfeeding another who can't handle a particular amount of a particular food.

On MSG's advice I did try feeding some pellets and it seemed like Pierre ate them more easily than the flakes. I noticed the same thing about time it took to chew and swallow- just a few seconds. Thinking I'll keep using pellets as it's seeming easier for Pierre and for me.

Last edited by Leafygreens; 09-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Leafygreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #13 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Thank you very much :). One more question. Do you recommend feeding once daily?
Some fish I feed twice a day, some once.
My sorority and any non-breeders get once a day feedings.
My breeders get fed twice a day to keep them in top condition, even when they are not being conditioned. The boy in my avatar gets 6 to 8 pellets twice a day and as you can see he's doesnt show it... I would actually like him to be thicker but I don't want to feed him more.

Again, use your judgement to decide his eating schedule.
Observation goes a long way with bettas...
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Some fish I feed twice a day, some once.
My sorority and any non-breeders get once a day feedings.
My breeders get fed twice a day to keep them in top condition, even when they are not being conditioned. The boy in my avatar gets 6 to 8 pellets twice a day and as you can see he's doesnt show it... I would actually like him to be thicker but I don't want to feed him more.

Again, use your judgement to decide his eating schedule.
Observation goes a long way with bettas...
Thanks again :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote