Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 
thedrewberson

Exclamation Betta never eats!

I have had my Betta, Marco, for around a month and a half now. He is living in a 5.5 gallon tank, water temp around 78 degrees, plenty of plants/places to hide, and a fairly gentle filter (it doesn't seem to bother him, at least). To this date, I have NEVER seen him eat any of the food I put in for him. I have tried 4 different types of food: BettaMin flakes, BettaMin Pellets, Aqueon Betta Food, and Freeze Dried Bloodworms. Nothing seems to work. I feed him sparingly too, so over feeding isn't an issue. I try to put 1-2 pellets in at a time and try once or twice a day. He never notices me put in the food and I cannot for the life of me get his attention. I try putting a finger in front of him and moving it to the top of the tank, poking a spoon in the water, etc. He just seems uninterested. On the few times he has noticed the food go in, he looks at it, ignores it, and lets it sink to the bottom of the aquarium - and I have heard that they don't eat off the bottom. I had my water tested yesterday, and all of my reading came back fine, so it's not that. Obviously he is eating something, since he has been alive for a month and a half. But I have never once seen him eat and it always concerns me. Any help, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
thedrewberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #2 
Friendlyfishies

Im feeling the same way! I havent had my new one as long as you but he is simply not interested in eating, he looks at the pellets but ignores them and most of the time he doesnt even see me place them in the tank. My other new guy eats them but only after they sink to the bottom and my new rescue and my betta ive had for a few week has been gobbling them up with no problem what so ever...second the pellet hits the water its a feeding frenzy with those two. Its so weird and puzzling. I have no real advice but someone mentioned to me coating the pellets in garlic juice? I havent been to the grocery store but its on my list of things to get. Good luck!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

OK HE HAS ISSUES! Idk how he is alive, but he is probably very skinny, and very sick. Can you add a pic?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #4 
thedrewberson

Okay I think I uploaded but not sure. He looks okay to me though.Name:  IMG_0454.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  42.0 KB
thedrewberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #5 
LizzyP

Well, he must be eating or he'd be dead by now. Even if it's just 1 pellet like every 2 days or something.

Hmm, I'm trying to think. He might have an internal parasite of some kind. Is there anything small (like 1 gallon) that you can have him in for treatment? I'm thinking an Epsom Salt run for now. But someone should back me up on that before you start.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

Agreed, I rarley deal with ill bettas, but I would put him in a dark place in esp salt. See if live mosquitoe larvae don't catch his attention?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating disorder, feeding, food