Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 
rbphoto

Question Under-gravel filter baffle?

Hi all!

I recently bought my first betta and I was simply wondering if there was a good way to baffle the undergravel filter that came with the tank I got?

http://www.petco.com/product/109840/...t=OnSiteSearch

That is the tank there, but I have a blue one. Anyways, the airstone is almost blowing too many air bubbles. I've tried turning the outlet for the bubbles around, but that only blew a bunch of bubbles in the corner and they eventually made the air line dripping wet all the way back to the pump.

This all brings me back to the question of a possible baffle for this kind of filter? I've had fish before, but never a betta, and never an under-gravel filter.

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)
rbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Considering it's a 1 galon, you don't need a filter.
Your tank will require 2 water changes a week and will not establish a good cycle in that tank so the best you can do is remove the filter to save space and keep up with your water changes.
IF you are keeping the filter the you will need a gang vaulve to place between the airpump and the filter which will let you regulate the airflow to the filter.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 
Sceven

What I did with my 2 gallon is stuffed some tissue paper (like kleenex) in the tube where it connects to your pump, that will slow it down greatly. Keep adding and testing, don't worry they don't shoot up your air tubing as long as they are wedged in there.

Or go the fancy shamcy way like vilmarisv suggested lol.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #4 
rbphoto

Thats a good idea Sceven! Since I'm a broke photo major in college that'll be a cheap, easy fix that I can do right now! :D
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 
rbphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbphoto View Post
Thats a good idea Sceven! Since I'm a broke photo major in college that'll be a cheap, easy fix that I can do right now! :D
Put some tissue in the pump end of my air line! Works like a charm!! Thanks again! Sonic is very happy now!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 
Sceven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbphoto View Post
Put some tissue in the pump end of my air line! Works like a charm!! Thanks again! Sonic is very happy now!
No Problem, I am always here to help :)
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #7 
goldfishyman

While the tissue paper will work it will also reduce the life of your air pump because of the increased back pressure. The parts that will break are the diaphragm and flapper valves. That Pet Place Pet Supplies Search | ThatPetPlace.com

AccuAir Gang Valve - 3 Way | ThatPetPlace.com If you use a gang valve you can reduce the pressure by tightening the valve but what I prefer to do is open an unused valve very slightly to vent excess pressure to atmosphere. This will reduce wear and tear on the pump. Having to rebuild an air pump can be frustrating if you don't know what your doing.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baffle, bubbles, questions, tank, under-gravel filter