Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #61 
marktrc

Aw that's too bad about itty bitty. Sounds like you are doing good with the rest though. See if you can find decapsulated bbs eggs. You just feed them directly. No hatching. Much easier but messy because they eat it and spit out something. It leaves a fine powder on the ground that I siphon out almost everyday.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #62 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry about itty bitty.

How a friend hatches and harvests BBS:
BBS are hatched in an up side down plastic soda bottle. The cap is attached to a 10cm tube. Insert a valve on this tube. When hatching, this tube is attached to a pump tube - full thrust. When harvesting, close the the valve. Remove the pump tube (including the connector). Prepare a net (DIY) made out of regular hanky cloth. Shine a flash light at the bottom so BBS gathers there. Open the valve to pour BBS into the cloth net. Rinse and feed to fry.

Most Pet store nets are too big (the holes/mesh) for newly hatches BBS.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #63 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
Aw that's too bad about itty bitty. Sounds like you are doing good with the rest though. See if you can find decapsulated bbs eggs. You just feed them directly. No hatching. Much easier but messy because they eat it and spit out something. It leaves a fine powder on the ground that I siphon out almost everyday.
I have been looking into those but I would have to wait until my financial aid comes in (about 2 weeks) before actually ordering any. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #64 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Sorry about itty bitty.

How a friend hatches and harvests BBS:
BBS are hatched in an up side down plastic soda bottle. The cap is attached to a 10cm tube. Insert a valve on this tube. When hatching, this tube is attached to a pump tube - full thrust. When harvesting, close the the valve. Remove the pump tube (including the connector). Prepare a net (DIY) made out of regular hanky cloth. Shine a flash light at the bottom so BBS gathers there. Open the valve to pour BBS into the cloth net. Rinse and feed to fry.

Most Pet store nets are too big (the holes/mesh) for newly hatches BBS.
I'll have to look into that, it sounds cool!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #65 
Kelly0727

September 13, 2012

So sad news today.. As I was doing my morning clean up I found 2 dead fry :( One did not show any signs of anything wrong with him.. the second one on the other hand looked as if someone took a big bite out of his head! Or his head exploded......... Not sure whats going on but i' going to do a BIG water change today just in case. All the others seem to be healthy though, no ick, no velvet.. I'm hoping no internal parasites.

This saturday they will be 28 days old and hopefully getting their first taste of air. I'm just hoping nothing else goes wrong.. If anyone knows what could have caused this with the fry's head I would much appreciate any info given.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #66 
tpocicat

The bigger fry may be eating the smaller fry, that's what I would think if that is what I saw in my tank.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #67 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
The bigger fry may be eating the smaller fry, that's what I would think if that is what I saw in my tank.
If they were the smaller ones I would have thought that my self.. but sadly they were both one of my bigger ones. I only have one big one and the rest are on the small side. That's why it worries me. :/

Another thing I noticed when I compare my fry to others is that my fry STAY on the bottom.. not swimming around very much. So I dont know what is going on....

Last edited by Kelly0727; 09-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #68 
marktrc

Sorry about your loss of fry. Is it possible that they died of something then something else ate them like snail or shrimp? My fry mostly stayed at the bottom till recently. At some point as they grew, they decided to swim more and at all levels of the tank.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #69 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
Sorry about your loss of fry. Is it possible that they died of something then something else ate them like snail or shrimp? My fry mostly stayed at the bottom till recently. At some point as they grew, they decided to swim more and at all levels of the tank.
No shrimp or snails.. I've been waiting for my lps to get more snails since the last batch they had didn't look to healthy. Although I do feel a little better about fry still being at the bottom at this age, I was worried they had sbd.

At the moment I am cleaning little by little to keep the moisture in the tank. By the time I'm done with it there wont be a speck of anything except clean water and cute fry with live plants!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #70 
Kelly0727

September 15, 2012

My fry are now 28 days old! Haven't lost anymore fry (thankfully!!) and everyone is looking super healthy! The biggest fry got his first taste of air 2 days ago and I was so happy when I saw it! Now he swims around the floating cups when I do water changes, it's so cute to watch! All the other fry are a bit smaller than him and haven't exactly gotten to this stage yet but its progress!

I don't know if it's to soon to tell what the fins will be this early but I got a good look at the biggest fry, looks like either delta or super delta. Which doesn't surprise me, in fact I expected it!

Only bad news is that my tub that I was ageing water in for the fry got infested with mosquito larva.. I tried feeding a lot of them to my adult fry but there was just to many! So I had to dump it out and refill it.. I got water for a water change tonight so we should be good for a day or so..

But besides that so far so good! :)