Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 
Mako

Betta Behavior changing?

When I first bought my 5-gallon tank, all I had was the tank, gravel, and filter for my betta (along with the sample water conditioner and sample flake food that came with the tank). This is what my betta was first introduced to. The sample of conditioner was only enough for the initial set-up so two weeks after the set-up, I bought API tap water conditioner and a 50 watt heater along with a thermometer and a cave decoration. This is when I did my first water change and ever since that water change, my betta has been acting differently than before. Before, it swimmed around a lot and explored the entire tank. For some reason now, I noticed that it sometimes positions itself below the 1-inch gap between the bottom of the heater's rubber cap at the end and the gravel. It is set up in the back corner and it doesn't seem to be comfortable. It hides inside the cave sometimes which doesn't seem to be such a problem since that is what it is for. When I turn on the aquarium light or even just enter the room, the betta snaps into action. Does this behavior seem unusual or even something to worry about?
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

It could be that he got extremely stressed from the water change. OR maybe something happened to him and he A. Wants to be alone or B. He's caught something that is making him exhibit this behavior...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 
Pilot00

I thought i had the same 'problem' with mine. How is your lighting? I had kept the lights down for a period to help combat algae and it made my betta lethargic. I turned them on again on regualar cycles and he seems to be active again.

Also is the tank on a busy spot? Does he have contact with anyone else? If not weird as it may sound, he has formed an attachment with you and when you are not around he just finds a cozy spot to chill out till you come. After all he explored the tank and has claimed it as his (assuming there is nothing else in there).

At least that's the same behavior mine exhibited and all those the reasons for his 'eccentrics'.

EDIT: Try a laser pointer around (dont point him directly). If he merrily chases the dot and tries to bite it while flaring at it, he is simply bored and needs your company or some stimulation while you are away.

Last edited by Pilot00; 09-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #4 
Mako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
I thought i had the same 'problem' with mine. How is your lighting? I had kept the lights down for a period to help combat algae and it made my betta lethargic. I turned them on again on regualar cycles and he seems to be active again.

Also is the tank on a busy spot? Does he have contact with anyone else? If not weird as it may sound, he has formed an attachment with you and when you are not around he just finds a cozy spot to chill out till you come. After all he explored the tank and has claimed it as his (assuming there is nothing else in there).

At least that's the same behavior mine exhibited and all those the reasons for his 'eccentrics'.

EDIT: Try a laser pointer around (dont point him directly). If he merrily chases the dot and tries to bite it while flaring at it, he is simply bored and needs your company or some stimulation while you are away.

I used to turn the lights on but I realized that the lighting caused the betta to see his reflection and he would flare his gills back. I stopped using my lights from that. The only time I use them is to examine the tank. My betta is the only occupant in the tank. I am actually thinking about adding another tank mate. I was thinking maybe shrimp. He seems to be eating less too.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 
mplsmommy

Try adding some plants. From what I read you only have a cave for him. Plants will also cut down on him seeing his reflection, and give him more places to hide if he feels like he needs to.
mplsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 
Mako

I have been thinking a lot about it and I read recently that it is good to do 20% water changes in the initial set-up of an aquarium to aid with the nitrogen cycle. My first water change was more than 50%. I am thinking that maybe I shocked the fish by taking most of its water and replacing it with new water. I could have perhaps tampered with the cycle instead of aiding it. I of course used a water conditioner to top the fresh water off. I have a question though. My bottle says to add 1 ml for every 20 gallons in order to remove chlorine and detoxify the metals. I have a 5 gallon and used the 1 ml. Was this too much? And what would happen if I used too much. The bottle also says that if you want to remove chloramine, to use 5 ml per 30 gallon. Would 5 ml be too much for my 5 gallon? Another thought I was having while I thought about my problem is that maybe I didn't use enough conditioner to get rid of the chloramine. What do you guys think? I am stuck on the measurements per gallon. It doesn't specify what I should be using for a 5 gallon tank.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 
Mako

Here is an update. (I hope this doesn't count as a double post because the last post before this one is my own. I couldn't find a way to edit it and add this part into it.) My betta is doing better now. It goes into the cave from time to time, but it now explores the rest of the cave. I especially see it at the top/mid-sections of the tank. I think it had to adapt to the large water change that I probably over-did. I also turn on the lights when I get home from work and keep them on to about when it gets dark.