Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It would not surprise if some pet stores treat Bettas bad just so a customer thinks they can treat fish badly and get away with it and reinforce the Bettas like dirty tanks myth.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #22 
LionCalie

IMO what it comes down to is this... (note it doesn't just apply to fish either, but all animals being poorly treated in pet stores!)

A sympathy purchase every now and then is not a bad thing.
You are making a huge difference in the life of that fish. It is always best to try and get the animal for free or at a reduced rate. Sometimes neither work and your heart wont let you leave the animal behind. If you are doing a sympathy purchase try to make it very clear to the store manager that you are saving the life of the animal and you do NOT agree with the conditions. Say you are going to complain to corporate and then follow through with said complaint. At least you made an effort to help the fish left behind by doing so.

The problem is when people just buy all the sick/cruelly treated fish they can get their hands on and call them rescues.
In doing so you are being part of the problem, not part of the solution. You are simply opening space for more fish to fill, causing them to suffer the same fate. The store will not change because they have no reason to. They are able to sell dying and sick fish at full price. You are also encouraging other people to do the same thing, which causes a big boom in business when enough people do it because lets face it... rescuing animals feels good.

I hope this helps the members who do not understand why it is important to differentiate the two terms.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #23 
registereduser

Just don't want labels to make anyone feel bad for helping a fish.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Just don't want labels to make anyone feel bad for helping a fish.
Nothing wrong with helping. fish I hope someday they will be kept with suitable tank mates or larger cleaner bowls/Giant Bettas in big tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #25 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
IMO what it comes down to is this... (note it doesn't just apply to fish either, but all animals being poorly treated in pet stores!)

A sympathy purchase every now and then is not a bad thing.
You are making a huge difference in the life of that fish. It is always best to try and get the animal for free or at a reduced rate. Sometimes neither work and your heart wont let you leave the animal behind. If you are doing a sympathy purchase try to make it very clear to the store manager that you are saving the life of the animal and you do NOT agree with the conditions. Say you are going to complain to corporate and then follow through with said complaint. At least you made an effort to help the fish left behind by doing so.

The problem is when people just buy all the sick/cruelly treated fish they can get their hands on and call them rescues.
In doing so you are being part of the problem, not part of the solution. You are simply opening space for more fish to fill, causing them to suffer the same fate. The store will not change because they have no reason to. They are able to sell dying and sick fish at full price. You are also encouraging other people to do the same thing, which causes a big boom in business when enough people do it because lets face it... rescuing animals feels good.

I hope this helps the members who do not understand why it is important to differentiate the two terms.
This ^^ Is exactly what I was trying to say! Never ever did I suggest that if you have to pay for a betta in need then you should walk away from it. Bringing home a sick fish is rescuing that fish, yes. You are saving it's life you are rescuing it. But you are also putting money in the pockets of those who caused the betta to get into that state in the first place, it's a double edged sword.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #26 
registereduser

Quote:
The problem is when people just buy all the sick/cruelly treated fish they can get their hands on and call them rescues.[/b] In doing so you are being part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Being told you are part of the problem is the problem.

Quote:
Is it important to have 2 terms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Bringing home a sick fish is rescuing that fish, yes. You are saving it's life you are rescuing it. But you are also putting money in the pockets of those who caused the betta to get into that state in the first place, it's a double edged sword.
I'm pretty sure people know this and try to get the fish for free or discount. I highly doubt fish sales are a multi-million dollar enterprise. The sale of all the fish paraphernalia is what makes the money. It just unnecessary (IMO) to put labels on it since, as you just said, a rescue is a rescue.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

technically a rescue is what it is right...? saving an animal's life... does it really matter which method you took?

I mean I don't think the two terms should be compared. they are two completely different ideas, lol. isn't it also possible to rescue a fish through sympathy purchase?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #28 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
isn't it also possible to rescue a fish through sympathy purchase?
Well just try to make a sympathy purchase WITHOUT rescuing the fish
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Well just try to make a sympathy purchase WITHOUT rescuing the fish
XD give it a small bowl and watch it die....?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #30 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
XD give it a small bowl and watch it die....?
What I mean is they are the same thing. Pay for the fish to rescue it, or get it for free and rescue it. You really aren't hurting the store by getting the fish for free. You hurt the store by never buying ANYTHING from it.