Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

My planted tank week 2...

Here are a couple updated pics of my planted, divided, 10g. I'm so happy I haven't lost any plants, and they seem to be growing really well!
Name:  planted tank 002 (600x449).jpg
Views: 158
Size:  45.9 KB
This is Bali Blaze's side..
Name:  planted tank 003 (600x443).jpg
Views: 158
Size:  47.7 KB
And Bandit Bijan's side...
Name:  planted tank 004 (600x445).jpg
Views: 159
Size:  44.7 KB

I want to do all of my tanks with live plants...just need a couple more lights!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Why are there 2 dividers? I love the tank. Great you are going to add live plants. I do not like dividing tanks just preference. I like my Betta swimming in a 10 gallon on his own. I as soon as I can am adding new plants. I want to add something you did perfect more hiding spots.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Why are there 2 dividers? I love the tank. Great you are going to add live plants. I do not like dividing tanks just preference. I like my Betta swimming in a 10 gallon on his own. I as soon as I can am adding new plants. I want to add something you did perfect more hiding spots.
Thanks! I put two dividers for several reasons, One, the fish can't see each other as well, so less stress. Two, it gives me a spot for the filter and heater so they aren't having to be in the fishes' areas taking up their space, and it allows the filter and heater to evenly work for both sides. I can't afford to have 6 10g tanks right now, so this is how I do it. The live plants are doing really good so far..This is my favorite tank right now. The fish really love the live plants too!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So cool Yeah I prefer to just keep a few Bettas and give them there own tank as big as possible just my preference.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #5 
toad

Looks great! Once you start with live plants, you don't want anything to do with fake ones :) hahaha.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Looks great! Once you start with live plants, you don't want anything to do with fake ones :) hahaha.
Thanks toad! Yeah, I can't wait to put real plants in my other tanks..I just need to get the right lighting for them first..I will have plenty of cuttings to use by then! The tank is so much easier to maintain, the fish love it and won't get hurt by anything catching their fins...and they look cool! I didn't even use dirt, just a small gravel, so I thought they wouldn't do well, but so far they are thriving! No added ferts or anything. I'm very happy with it. Though at least one, probably the next one will be a true NPT with a soil base...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks great! I'm afraid to try live plants. I don't want anything that needs substrate nor do I want nasty stuff like snails that come with live plants. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
It looks great! I'm afraid to try live plants. I don't want anything that needs substrate nor do I want nasty stuff like snails that come with live plants. Lol
My first planted tank never had substrate! XD I simply tied down everything to something heavier, or allowed it to float. my elodea/anacharis had it's own little pot in the tank! The water wisteria too :D It's totally doable!

you can get rid of snails with a Potassium Permanganate soak. I've personally never minded snails XD they add to the bioload the plants prefer :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #9 
toad

Quote:

Hahaha... There are plants that are guaranteed snail free. Ironically, my one pet snail, creatively named Mr. Snail, is a pond snail that I asked for at Petco (all the mystery and apple snails they had appeared lifeless). They didn't really want to give him to me, since he wasn't part of their livestock, and I was told he'd take over my tank. But, I love him. And, he was free
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
I was afraid too...so much information to absorb...well, I finally did it like I do everything else..I just stuck to basics and just let it fly lol. I only have a small gravel substrate that I got at Walmart 25lbs for $12...and the plants were on sale at my lfs for $1 a bunch...the light, $10 at Walmart..and that was it...I'm really happy with my inexpensive, low tech system. Oh, and I didn't see a single snail! I set the plants right into the tank.