Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

two mystery deaths?

So I had a girl die in my sorority a couple weeks ago, and I brushed it off as a random death, no visible signs, so I figured it was her time, I had had her for awhile. Then just now, I found another dead one, but instead of floating, she sank. I think this was just because the gasses from rotting fish hadn't formed yet, but yeahh. Then I noticed she and the other one had both been noticeably eggy before the death, but neither was eggy afterward. Both were larger girls, one was the dominant, and one I had no idea (I had added heer like a week before and hadnt had time to sit own and watch)

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80.1
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 other girls and some ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? random each day, freeze dried bloodworms, tetra min tropical crisps, or soem weire aqueon pellet thing I don't even know why I have
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1.5 gal/day (I have 3 0.5 gallon jars that float in the tank that get daily 100% changes and I refill them with water from the main tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: waiting
pH: 6.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Less eggy.. umm... dead looking
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? well... not breathing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? no...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? ummmmm idk I gotta ask the breeder, less than a year
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
registereduser

Sadly I am going through something similar right now. Did you quarantine the new fish before adding her to the tank? I think she may have brought sickness to your tank. I did an almost 100% water change and it seems to have helped. The fish I did not quarantine was a cory. He died first, then I lost 3 more. After the water change things seem better but not 100% normal, I don't think my problems are over yet. Time will tell.

I will always QT from now on!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

The new fish I added that died first had been quarantined, I had her for years, AND she was in a jar for awhile before I put her in. I LOVE these fish, though and I don't want them to go :'( I need to find a way to stop this!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #4 
registereduser

Have you done a massive water change? That seems to have stopped my problem for now, no deaths for 2 days after the first 3 went. How are they eating? My surviviors aren't eating as well as they used to, spitting out pellets and prefering micro-bites. It's as if they can't chew any more. My 2 biggest girls died, they were quite fat. The third was my favorite marble even tho she was a good eater she was kind of strange looking, so I wonder if she was a bit weak?

Keep me informed!

Last edited by registereduser; 09-14-2012 at 08:45 AM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

No symptoms in anyone else. The one that dies was the leader so they are re-establishing the pecking order, so its a bit hectic in there. I noticed the cambodians are all swimming together and the reds are all swimming together and this poor little pink girl has no friends :P