Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #1 
deso

Urgent - Filter Broken

I just moved to a new flat on Saturday and I assume that Modi's tank was jostled around a bit in the car, because the filter suddenly stopped working today. It's a 2 gallon Fluval Spec. I ordered a new tank (3.5 gallon ADA Mini-S) and filter (Eden 501 canister) online, express delivery, but I can't expect it to be here until Friday or next Monday/Tuesday. What should I do in the meantime to keep my poor fishy alive and comfortable without a filter? Thankfully, his heater is still working. I'm so worried about him! Please advise!

Thanks in advance.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
clopez1

All you can really do is water changes to keep his tank clean till you get a filter replacement.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 
Gale

Have you checked for debris or buildup in the filter assembly? I'm not sure how fluval filters are built, but my Penguin 100 has stopped a couple of times. I just had to take apart the impeller assembly and flush out a grain of sand to get it going again.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 
MSG

I wouldn't panic. I'm assuming you have a couple live plants in there. You could just a basic 50% water change, but definitely.....

• Do what C&G recommended.
  • You could just feed your betta half the amount of food till the new setup arrives.
  • Your fish should be fine. I'm sure he's healthy enough to survive 2 weeks without food.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #5 
deso

Update:
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I did an extra 100% water change last week and Modi is perfectly fine at the mo, enjoying the fact that he now has 3.5 gallons to swim around :)

Gale, the filter that came with the Fluval Spec cannot be taken apart, as future information to anyone who has the same tank. I did give it a good cleaning and flushed out as much of the debris as I could, but it just wouldn't start up. The Spec and its filter are going in the bin. What a shame, it was nice when it was working properly.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #6 
clopez1

Good to know all has worked out.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #7 
Silverfang

as an aside, I've got a Fluval C2, it's crapped out after 2 months.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #8 
deso

Another update: Modi looked fine for the first night, but now, he's spending a lot of his time sitting on the bottom of the tank. He's quite stressed-looking and pale, with slightly clamped fins, but other than that, I can see nothing physically wrong with him. No fungus, no raised scales, no bloating, no parasites external or internal (he's eating with his usual appetite and pooping normally). Temperature is at 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It's been 2 full days now since he moved from the Spec to the new 3.5 gallon. Is he just adjusting to the new tank and filter or should I be worried that he's come down with something?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 
MSG

I have no idea how far you moved from, but most likely it's just stress & your boy is just learning to adjust to the new tank in addition the road trip.

He should be fine in a couple days if you're providing everything else. Heat, clean water, new toys, etc.... I wouldn't worry too much.

So did you just ended up tossing the old tank? The little 2G Spec would have made a nice cherry shrimp & a spare AQ plant tank even without the built in filter, you could have just thrown in a spongie for filtration.

• How long did you have the Spec tank for before it starting giving you issues?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #10 
deso

Thanks for the reassurance. I had the Spec for not more than 4 months. I moved twice during the past three months, from the middle of Paris to a small town in the eastern suburbs, and again two weeks ago from that town to the opposite side of Īle-de-France (2 hours drive). Plus, he's in a completely different room - the old room was quite dark all day long, and the new room is full of light, which could be freaking him out a bit. The new filter is also considerably more powerful than the Spec's, but as far as I can see, the current isn't blowing him around too much.

I haven't thrown out the Spec yet because I couldn't figure out which disposal bin I had to put it in...and those are some good ideas. I think I'll hang on to it, thanks for that.