Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #1 
lharpster

Is this filter ok?

Hi,
I'm new here and have a question about filters. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that has been cycling for 4 days now. I have a mini heater, a thermometer and light. The filter I have is a Whisper Quiet cascading filter for small tanks. Is this ok or should I get something else?

Thanks for any help.
Lori
lharpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #2 
It'sJames

Is it a Whisper brand hang-on-back filter? What are you planning on keeping in the tank?
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #3 
lharpster

Yes. It is the type of filter that is suction cupped to the back inside of the tank. The flow isn't hard, but I am worried about putting a betta in there if they don't like currents. I had a filter that came with the tank but it seemed to make too many bubbles, so I replaced it with this one. Then my betta died :( . I know now that the tank was too cold for my betta, so I got the heater.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #4 
It'sJames

I've never used one of those, but it's probably all right. Bettas can handle some current, just not like other fish. It's easy to tell whether they seem comfortable with the current or not. I've kept bettas in tanks with HOB filters and they've done fine. The females do better with current than the males do, since their fins are smaller.

I'm sorry to hear about your last betta. I'm sure the next one will do quite well in a heated tank.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #5 
lharpster

Thanks so much. :D
Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #6 
okiemavis

You can check if the Whisper HOB has a flow adjuster, a lot of them do actually, so you can turn the flow down if need be. Floating plants will also help, as will anything else breaking up part of the flow of the water. Best of luck, it does sound like a nice environment for a betta! FYI, crowntails, like females, have less delicate fins, that are less prone to shredding.

Just be aware, if you do get nervous and shut the filter off, make sure you do religious water changes and monitor the parameters carefully.

Is the tank cycled yet? If not i'd recommend reading up on that.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote