Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Ahhh, gottcha. xD Lol, I was just a little confused there for a sec!
I'm obviously a little confused...ah, quite often!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #12 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum ! First off you need to do more water changes if you dont use the filter so you might want to try and baffle it you can search the forum here on how to do that. For a 5 gallon without using the filter you need 3 , 50 percent water changes once a week . For one with a filter its 2, 50 percent water changes once a week. If you cycle the tank you still have to do 1, 50 percent water change once a week.

As for the glass no I would not risk it. Good luck and please ask if you have anymore questions.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #13 
katydidmischief

Welcome to the forum! I love your fishie's name!
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #14 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Thank you all so much for replying so quickly! I've decided I'm not going to get the glass and just stick with the black sand. I don't have a heater or a water test kit at the moment but am planning on getting them this weekend.
Also, I was thinking last night, I really like the cherry shrimp and how they clean plants. I really want to make Cirocs home a semi-planted tank and I figured the shrimp could be his little minions or something f he don't eat them. lol

I'm going to have to look up on here how to cycle. I'd much rather do 1 50% change then 2 a week. lol
Quick question about vacuums, What do they do? and how are they used? Do they need to be used if you have a filter?

And are there any visuals on how to fix the heavy current?
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #15 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The gravel vac have a long rubber hose that attaches to a long clear tube and your use the tube to clean the gravel with as it draws out the water into a bucket or whatever you use for the water to drain into. They are really a time saver doing water changes and dont cost that much, I think I paid 7 dollars for mine. Yes they still need to be used even if you have a filter, you also can stick the tube into the gravel to clean under the gravel.

Not sure about the visuals I will check and post them for you if I can find any.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #16 
DragonFish

Awesome choice. :) I personally adore the look of sand, I've switched all my tanks over to it recently.

As Perseusmom said, a gravel vacuum is necessary to get your tank properly clean during water changes. They generally come with instructions, and are indeed not at all expensive. Though cleaning sand is a tad diffident, since you'll be skimming over the top with the vac rather then just sticking it right into the substrate like with gravel of course.

If you're interested i live plants, we have a FANTASTIC plant section on the forum here with all kinds of amazing info. If you haven't yet, definitely want to go check it out. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on that subject myself....I can't keep any kind of plant alive to save my life.
But be sure to cycle your tank before you add the shrimp...they can be sensitive little guys. Also, it might not hurt to try your guy with a couple of little ghost shrimp first to see how he reacts....would be a shame if you brought home several wonderful little cherry shrimp only for them to become snacks, lol.

Oh yes, you may be doing a few more water changes during your cycle, but its definitely worth it for the once-weekly change in the long run!
Here is a quick picture I went and took for you of my 5 gallon filter which I have baffled with a filter little sponge attached with a hair tie(no metal!):

Hoep this helps!
Oh, don't forget your thermometer! I always forget those when I'm setting up a new tank...xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #17 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Awesome choice. :) I personally adore the look of sand, I've switched all my tanks over to it recently.

As Perseusmom said, a gravel vacuum is necessary to get your tank properly clean during water changes. They generally come with instructions, and are indeed not at all expensive. Though cleaning sand is a tad diffident, since you'll be skimming over the top with the vac rather then just sticking it right into the substrate like with gravel of course.

If you're interested i live plants, we have a FANTASTIC plant section on the forum here with all kinds of amazing info. If you haven't yet, definitely want to go check it out. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on that subject myself....I can't keep any kind of plant alive to save my life.
But be sure to cycle your tank before you add the shrimp...they can be sensitive little guys. Also, it might not hurt to try your guy with a couple of little ghost shrimp first to see how he reacts....would be a shame if you brought home several wonderful little cherry shrimp only for them to become snacks, lol.

Oh yes, you may be doing a few more water changes during your cycle, but its definitely worth it for the once-weekly change in the long run!
Here is a quick picture I went and took for you of my 5 gallon filter which I have baffled with a filter little sponge attached with a hair tie(no metal!):

Hoep this helps!
Oh, don't forget your thermometer! I always forget those when I'm setting up a new tank...xD
Thanks so much! I really like the sand too :3
I don't think i'm going to get the cherry shrimp. I might try a few but if not I really like the ADFs. They are very interesting lil fellows. I was reading up on them and never knew till now that the albino aren't really albino, they are little ACF froglets!

I'm making a list of the things I need to get:
Thermometer and heater are at the top of my list.
Then a vacuum and test kit, but if the test kit is too expensive I might just get some strips from a friend of mine.
And I'm going to look up plants and find a good place to get an adf after I cycle the tank.

And I'm going to look at the plant section right now!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #18 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

I'm looking at the plants now and I'm really really digging the water wisteria,water sprite, rotala indica, Java fern, and the broad leaf anubias.
What and how many plants would do good in a 5 gallon set up?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #19 
DragonFish

xD Oh yes, ADFs are quite adorable little things too. A bit of a pain to feed, but still cute.
I've never had shrimp, but from what I've heard they are surprisingly entertaining little things to watch as well....lol.

From what I know about plants, I don't see why any of those wouldn't work in a 5....best to check your lights and make a thread in the Planted section though and see what the plant-gurus have to say. xD I'm so terrible with plants I've kind of given up on trying to keep them, I just kill them all, lol.

Sadly, the test strips aren't accurate....you'll want to pick up a liquid test kit. They are a little more pricey, but over-all its really something every keeper should have on their shelf....not only do you need it in order to monitor your levels for cycling, but if you ever have any trouble with your fish or his tank mates its great to have the kit there to test your water and make sure its not a water chemistry problem.
If they're a little too pricey for you at your LPS, I've heard they're a little cheaper on Amazon.com. But you definitely need one....I'd put it right up there on the list with the heater and thermometer.
Ahh, fish keeping....such a surprisingly pricey hobby....lol.

Otherwise everything sounds great! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #20 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
xD Oh yes, ADFs are quite adorable little things too. A bit of a pain to feed, but still cute.
I've never had shrimp, but from what I've heard they are surprisingly entertaining little things to watch as well....lol.

From what I know about plants, I don't see why any of those wouldn't work in a 5....best to check your lights and make a thread in the Planted section though and see what the plant-gurus have to say. xD I'm so terrible with plants I've kind of given up on trying to keep them, I just kill them all, lol.

Sadly, the test strips aren't accurate....you'll want to pick up a liquid test kit. They are a little more pricey, but over-all its really something every keeper should have on their shelf....not only do you need it in order to monitor your levels for cycling, but if you ever have any trouble with your fish or his tank mates its great to have the kit there to test your water and make sure its not a water chemistry problem.
If they're a little too pricey for you at your LPS, I've heard they're a little cheaper on Amazon.com. But you definitely need one....I'd put it right up there on the list with the heater and thermometer.
Ahh, fish keeping....such a surprisingly pricey hobby....lol.

Otherwise everything sounds great! :)

Heehe My hubby liked the idea of an adf too :D
I was reading up on how/what to feed them and decided I'm going to feed him in a seperate container just to make sure they both eat enough.
I kept the container Ciroc was in specifically for changes but I could use it to feed too. And I really want to et some type of floating plant for him, probably the water sprite. They like to swim up to the surface and lounge on plants.