Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #1 
lvandert

hmmm Bloat or parasites?

Hmmm in my 55 general community I seem to have something going on. A few days ago I had one black neon tetra with a large belly. I isolated him in a floating breeder for observation for a while. I never saw any poop but, through his skin, I saw an out of place whitish lump. That night he died. So I went to remove him (lifted the floating breeder cage) as I went to grab him out of the breeder I barley touched his belly and it burst. There was normal poop colored stuff and then there was this white mush. I've since cleaned the floating breeder. I noticed a rasbora was getting chunky so I fasted the tank a full day and cut their feedings from two normal feedings a day to one smallish one. and I'm going to fast again today. Its been probably 3 days since the first death and now I have two rasboras, one neon tetra and one more black neon with chubbier than normal bellies. Everyone else is normal...
soo what are your thoughts on this?

What size is your tank? 55 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes, 2; 15 gal HOB, and marineland canister filter (250 GPM)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes one decoration bubbles
Is your tank heated? Y two heaters
What tank mates does your fish live with? 2 tiger barbs (I have 5 more in a qt tank waiting to go into the main) 7 neon tetras, 4 black neon (plan no getting one more), 5 rasboras, and two hatchet (I have one more in the qt tank waiting to go into the main tank, also plan on getting 3 more)

Food
What type of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon Tropical fish flakes
How often do you feed your fish? used to be two small feedings a day with a fast once a week, the past couple days its been one small feeding followed by a fasting day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% (8/9 gallons)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle start right, and API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
All normal

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your fish's appearance changed? a few bloated fishies
How has your fish's behavior changed? kinda lethargic but will swim and eat food if given
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, thinking of either epsom salt baths (constipation) or medicated food (parasites)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Treated all for cotton mouth 3 weeks ago (not everyone had it but the tank did) used API Fungal cure
How old is your fish (approximately). No clue lol
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #2 

Need number's for water parameter's which are more useful than description's such as good,fine,normal,etc.
Fish could indeed have been suffering from parasite,viral infection(Iridovirus),or could have simply been a female that was egg bound.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #3 
lvandert

I'll get the numbers later. I have them written down at home (I'm on campus already). I've tested recently but I'll also do another test just to be sure
Old 09-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 
lvandert

Ok just did another water test. I don't have the master kit but I have an ammonia kit and pH kit. pH was 7.6 (same since I've set the tank up) and ammonia was 0 (same as my test earlier this week). once again all good and normal. I'll be heading to the store and i'll probably pick up some medicated food just to be on the safe side (I have a few extra bucks).