Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #7331 
teeneythebetta

The water tends to be slightly warmer right beside the heater, and cooler further away, so having it in the middle does help evenly distribute heat.
It's also Best to have the heater next to the filter because the filter helps distrivute the heat as well.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #7332 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Double divided 10 gallon

oh my gosh, this is absolutely STUNNING. i love the way you have this set up & this is definitely gonna be my muse for my future set up. did you make those dividers yourself? or did you buy them from somewhere?
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #7333 
Katrina S

Betta tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
Double divided 10 gallon

This looks amazing. Now I'm tempted to see if I can't get my old 10 gallon spare up and running in the basement to set something up for my fish to share with another. I'm also curious about the dividers. I never wanted a divided tank for fear of disease or some harm coming to the fish sharing everything. Plus the whole fighting as they can see each other in the dividers always bothered me. Is that really safe to have two bettas share a tank or is it better to have two tanks side by side that are 5 gallon?
Katrina S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #7334 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
The water tends to be slightly warmer right beside the heater, and cooler further away, so having it in the middle does help evenly distribute heat.
It's also Best to have the heater next to the filter because the filter helps distrivute the heat as well.
+1 Exactly You explained it very well, better than I could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
When I get my 10gal someday I would love to do this with it. Beautiful set up and I love how you did the filter/dividers. It looks safe for everybody.
Thanks! I actually got the idea of angled double dividers from this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorxmexravyne View Post
oh my gosh, this is absolutely STUNNING. i love the way you have this set up & this is definitely gonna be my muse for my future set up. did you make those dividers yourself? or did you buy them from somewhere?
Wow, thank you! Yep, the dividers are DIY using report cover spines, plastic craft mesh and aquarium sealant. Also, I used black electrical tape down the front on the outside to make it look more finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina S View Post
This looks amazing. Now I'm tempted to see if I can't get my old 10 gallon spare up and running in the basement to set something up for my fish to share with another. I'm also curious about the dividers. I never wanted a divided tank for fear of disease or some harm coming to the fish sharing everything. Plus the whole fighting as they can see each other in the dividers always bothered me. Is that really safe to have two bettas share a tank or is it better to have two tanks side by side that are 5 gallon?
I say do it, but maybe I am biased. There is obviously some risk of spread of disease since they are sharing the same water. I'm very watchful for any signs of illness, that way I can separate the fish to a hospital tank. Hopefully before it can spread. I also add Aquari-sol weekly as disease prevention.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #7335 
katydidmischief

I had the 5.5 set up with Michael and two frogs and had intended to leave it that way... then I brought home a second little one. The bioload would have left the tank in need of a lot of changes, dividing it would have left them all with too little room, and a second 5.5 just wouldn't have fit on my dresser nor do I have enough outlets.

So I bought and divided a 10 gallon.
Attached Images

katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #7336 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRachel View Post
Ohmigosh I love that castle! Where did you find it? My soon to be fish is named Flash too, actually. I won his aquabid auction and am still waiting for the maol to come in. He's named for my school mascot as what drew me to him was rhâ he was my school colors! Didn't think it would be that popular of a name.

Sorry, I didn't check back for a while. It's actually a really old castle. We've had it for about 15 years (hence the blue top is really chipped from last time I washed it)

I've seen other castles (larger) with a similar but larger design... so I'm sure you could find something similar on ebay or at a pet store (though I haven't seen any similar at petco or petsmart)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #7337 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
Yes! That's the one I was considering.
Are you using the filter that came with it or a different one?
Finally getting back to the forum. Sorry I took so long to reply!

Yes, I'm using the filter it came with. I found that if I change the level of water ever so slightly it increases or decreases how strong the water comes out. When I filled it to their fill level it was a tad strong and made a lot of bubbles, which my betta hated. I filled it only milimeters more and it still works fine, but doesn't produce as much turbulance... so happier betta <3
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #7338 
amyteee

This is Taro's little 3 gallon tank. I've got a 25w heater, undergravel filtration, small pieces of bogwood, a handful of tumblestones and some big biorb white rocks. Also got some hornwort, dwarf hairgrass and Java moss in there for him. And pest snails, which he has so kindly thinned out for me. xD

It's not quite finished, I plan on getting some nano marimo balls, java fern to replace the hornwort and a coconut cave to attach the java moss to, and for a better hiding place for Taro. And making a proper hood with a better light, as the only light I have is that spotlight. :)
Attached Images

amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #7339 
Ramla

Pretty, and the spotlight looks kind of cool in the dark picture.

Also it doesn't look like you have a lid on your tank at all currently? So until you get a permanent lid you may want to find something to cover the top temporarily so you don't have to worry about him jumping out
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #7340 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidmischief View Post
So I bought and divided a 10 gallon.
lucky boys! they have a nice home there. They should be quite happy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, lols, macgyver was here, tank