Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Great fish learn trust you feed them they love you a goldfish can grow one foot and live 20 years sounds great for a large pond. Think you can see the goldfish is the pond.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #22 
BettaQi

A 13 inch goldfish was caught in a pond in Englad! They estimated he was over 10years old!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
A 13 inch goldfish was caught in a pond in Englad! They estimated he was over 10years old!
That is not very old considering record is 43 years. I have heard of 2 foot goldfish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #24 
MsGita

I've seen the videos for r2fishschool. It's not the fish that are a genius, it's the guy who created that "program" and is making money from it! lol
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #25 
mkayum

Of course, they are very intelligent! I had a few goldfish but some decided to jump out of the water... I stopped keeping them BUT when I move out, I'll be sure to get a Wakin. c:
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #26 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
That is not very old considering record is 43 years. I have heard of 2 foot goldfish.
Chocolate, I am trying to remember that your communication skills are different from mine.

Just to inform you gently, this message comes across as mildly confrontational due to this phrase "that is not very old considering record of 43 years."

While you might not mean to be hostile, I had to pause and remind myself that you have stated that you do not have the same perceptions as other people and sometimes you are in your eyes just putting across factual information and are actually trying to learn to connect with people.

With this in mind I googled and found a great article about a fish caught in Kentucky which is HUGE! So thanks for spurring more research on my part.

http://skeeter747.hubpages.com/hub/E...gest-Gold-Fish
Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #27 
thekoimaiden

That is not a goldfish. That's a gold colored bighead carp. Same family, but different species. Bigheads are the ones that are invasive in the Mississippi River. Goldfish are known to live 25+ years (in ponds, lifespan is shorter in tanks) and grow to 32 cm (13 in) according to Fishbase.org. Hobbyist report some up to 18 inches.

As for their intelligence, they aren't as stupid as people make them out to be. Mine remembered me as their caretaker after I had been on vacation for two months. Scientific studies seem to indicate that three months are about the maximum capacity they have for memory. Little longer than the average 3-second that most people tout.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #28 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
That is not a goldfish. That's a gold colored bighead carp. Same family, but different species. Bigheads are the ones that are invasive in the Mississippi River. Goldfish are known to live 25+ years (in ponds, lifespan is shorter in tanks) and grow to 32 cm (13 in) according to Fishbase.org. Hobbyist report some up to 18 inches.

As for their intelligence, they aren't as stupid as people make them out to be. Mine remembered me as their caretaker after I had been on vacation for two months. Scientific studies seem to indicate that three months are about the maximum capacity they have for memory. Little longer than the average 3-second that most people tout.
Interesting -- I had looked at a goldfish study that involved inducing lesions on their brains in an attempt to locate which neurological center was responsible for memory.

I guess the reporter and fact checker for that little paper didn't have enough information to write a more accurate account.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #29 
TheCrabbyTabby

Mythbusters proved that goldfish can and will learn a certain set of behaviors with an appropriate award, i.e. food, as their goal. They also have far longer than the commonly thought 3 second memory.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #30 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Mythbusters proved that goldfish can and will learn a certain set of behaviors with an appropriate award, i.e. food, as their goal. They also have far longer than the commonly thought 3 second memory.
That's a cool show.