Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #1 
registereduser

The importance of QUARANTINING

I lost 3 of my sorority girls a few days ago and it was all my fault. One of the dead is my beautiful red Mercedes pictured to the left

I had bought community fish at Petco before and they died so I should have learned my lesson then.

My next big mistake was thinking since I had cories from Petco survive before, then I could go ahead and add a new cory and all would be fine. NOT.

I just plopped him in the tank and he was dead in a day. STILL NOT THINKING I bought my baby double tail and put him in the same contaminated tank in a breeder box THE NEXT DAY
My stupidity shocks even myself.

Long story short 3 females dead, I did a 100% water change and so far everyone else seems fine, even the baby. Further crisis averted? I'm not convinced. I wake up every morning and examine the tank.

MORAL: QT new fish, simple as that. I'm thankful the carnage wasn't worse
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I never have quarantined. The disease responsible for sickness of fish is always in water stress like bad water quality lowers immune system and the disease takes over. I rarely have fish get sick. I separate and give them copper medicine that does work ever since I got it they survived. The herbal one has never cured a fish on its own it is non copper.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I never have quarantined. The disease responsible for sickness of fish is always in water stress like bad water quality lowers immune system and the disease takes over. I rarely have fish get sick. I separate and give them copper medicine that does work ever since I got it they survived. The herbal one has never cured a fish on its own it is non copper.

That's not true.

Quarantining is a huge responsibility for having more than one fish in a tank. If one fish has parasites, the other can get it.
It has nothing to do with water quality and stress a lot of the time. Bacteria will pop up even with clean water.
And by you saying that, you're basically sayig that you don't care if the fish from the petstore is extremely ill, and that you'll put it in a tank with another fish iregardless. That shows irresponsibility in my opinion.

Registered, I am sorry for your loss. Andd I'm sorry that youhad to learn something that way. I do hope that everything works out in the future and if you get new ones, they're healthy as ever :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
That's not true.

Quarantining is a huge responsibility for having more than one fish in a tank. If one fish has parasites, the other can get it.
It has nothing to do with water quality and stress a lot of the time. Bacteria will pop up even with clean water.
And by you saying that, you're basically sayig that you don't care if the fish from the petstore is extremely ill, and that you'll put it in a tank with another fish iregardless. That shows irresponsibility in my opinion.

Registered, I am sorry for your loss. Andd I'm sorry that youhad to learn something that way. I do hope that everything works out in the future and if you get new ones, they're healthy as ever :)
I never buy sick fish they are always healthy most of my fish have copper intolerance plus I can not quarantine most of my fish because they are interactive. I only quarantine sick fish never healthy.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
That's not true.

Stress is the major cause of fish disease. Fin rot is caused by bad water quality because the organism thrives in filthy water.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #6 
registereduser

If CB never quarantines new fish I think that is all the proof you need that new fish SHOULD be quarantined
Old 09-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:

Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If CB never quarantines new fish I think that is all the proof you need that new fish SHOULD be quarantined
Totally awesome! Insufferable know-it-all who evidently know squat!
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

CB, how do you know your fish have copper intolerance..?

And you do know that if you want a clean tank, you'd need to like scrub the tank down every day?

I for one am a firm believer in quarintining. I just had to do it with Pudge because I thought he had something I couldn't diagnose. I had to QT Buddha because he was constipated and needed to be edicated.

CB, do you QT your fish when they're being medicated?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
CB, how do you know your fish have copper intolerance..?

And you do know that if you want a clean tank, you'd need to like scrub the tank down every day?

I for one am a firm believer in quarintining. I just had to do it with Pudge because I thought he had something I couldn't diagnose. I had to QT Buddha because he was constipated and needed to be edicated.

CB, do you QT your fish when they're being medicated?
I keep cories Otos snails copper/ aquarium salt hurts them. Only when sick are they quarantined like I said. My fish rarely get sick and my ability to cure disease is improving one of my guppies has a parasitic twin. The glass is spotless in my 20 gallon and I do a 50 percent water change weekly and clean the glass often in my 10 gallon and I do not have the room for quarantine.