Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

You may have all the luck right now, like I do, that your fish aren't sick.

But all you need is one thing to go wrong for it to spread to the other when you get your next fish. :/
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If CB never quarantines new fish I think that is all the proof you need that new fish SHOULD be quarantined
Stop insulting me or I will use my Cory Venom. Are you calling me a noob. My fish are colorful active eating properly I never put pet store water in my tank though. Explain that.My local pet store does a great job keeping the fish from getting sick.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
You may have all the luck right now, like I do, that your fish aren't sick.

But all you need is one thing to go wrong for it to spread to the other when you get your next fish. :/
For some reason I am very lucky with fish. I do plan to quarantine my celestial pearl danios.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #14 
registereduser

Speaking of room, I have a 2 gallon glass cannister on my bathroom sink top. It has a heater and thermometer. My bathroom is TINY. So anyone can do it if i can
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #15 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I keep cories Otos snails copper/ aquarium salt hurts them. Only when sick are they quarantined like I said. My fish rarely get sick and my ability to cure disease is improving one of my guppies has a parasitic twin. The glass is spotless in my 20 gallon and I do a 50 percent water change weekly and clean the glass often in my 10 gallon and I do not have the room for quarantine.
You do know that shoaling fish like otos and cories need at least four members in a shoal. You do not have enough otos or cories.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
You do know that shoaling fish like otos and cories need at least four members in a shoal. You do not have enough otos or cories.
They school healthy the cories are albino practically blind. The otos are very healthy unfortunately it looks like 2 separate species. The cories school healthy unless swimming surfing every ounce in a while eating a good amount of food same with the otos. I also do not want them to not have enough room.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #17 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
They school healthy the cories are albino practically blind. The otos are very healthy unfortunately it looks like 2 separate species. The cories school healthy unless swimming surfing every ounce in a while eating a good amount of food same with the otos. I also do not want them to not have enough room.
Actually stop to read what is written. Your numbers are too low. You need at least one more cory in your shoal, not school. Your otos, also shoaling fish, are too low in numbers. One would think someone as knowledgeable, and I use the term loosely, would know that.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #18 
JessSH

CB, sorry, but I gotta chime in on not quarantining new fish. Just because a fish appears healthy doesn't mean that's true. I bought a little guy that had what I thought was mild fin rot (got him from PetCo so it's not unusual). A month later he & 2 other males & possibly now 1 female have TB. And they were all kept in separate tanks! There were a lot of other fish that appeared perfectly healthy when I bought Adonis, but you know how TB spreads....I bet a ton of other fish have/had it too. He probably wasn't even the original carrier. I'm not trying to insult, tell you you're wrong or even that you're irresponsible because it sounds like you care for your fisha lot & you're doing what you think is best. I just want you to learn from my experience so you can avoid the emotional & financial devastation I'm facing.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #19 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I lost 3 of my sorority girls a few days ago and it was all my fault. One of the dead is my beautiful red Mercedes pictured to the left

I had bought community fish at Petco before and they died so I should have learned my lesson then.

My next big mistake was thinking since I had cories from Petco survive before, then I could go ahead and add a new cory and all would be fine. NOT.

I just plopped him in the tank and he was dead in a day. STILL NOT THINKING I bought my baby double tail and put him in the same contaminated tank in a breeder box THE NEXT DAY
My stupidity shocks even myself.

Long story short 3 females dead, I did a 100% water change and so far everyone else seems fine, even the baby. Further crisis averted? I'm not convinced. I wake up every morning and examine the tank.

MORAL: QT new fish, simple as that. I'm thankful the carnage wasn't worse

I am so sorry you had this painful experience.

I am glad everyone else is ok.

Bacteria borne diseases often are asymptomatic until too late.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #20 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSH View Post
CB, sorry, but I gotta chime in on not quarantining new fish. Just because a fish appears healthy doesn't mean that's true. I bought a little guy that had what I thought was mild fin rot (got him from PetCo so it's not unusual). A month later he & 2 other males & possibly now 1 female have TB. And they were all kept in separate tanks! There were a lot of other fish that appeared perfectly healthy when I bought Adonis, but you know how TB spreads....I bet a ton of other fish have/had it too. He probably wasn't even the original carrier. I'm not trying to insult, tell you you're wrong or even that you're irresponsible because it sounds like you care for your fisha lot & you're doing what you think is best. I just want you to learn from my experience so you can avoid the emotional & financial devastation I'm facing.

Oh no!

I wish you well in this difficult time.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote