Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

A comet or common goldfish need at least 75 gallons minimum, preferably a pond. Fantails I believe are 20 gallons for the 1st fish and 10 gallons for any other fantail goldfish you add in. They are not recommended for Bettas as goldfish are better off in cold water. They can be in hot water but you need more filtration, aeration, and even more food. No idea on the Swordtail but Platies need to be in groups and are a bit nippy.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I suggest you go over to a site like SeriouslyFish.com and have a look at the profiles of the fish you are interested in. That site contains probably one of the most comprehensive and informative list of fish you will find online. They will outline suitable tankmates, minimum tank sizes as well as indicate what water conditions each species does best in (for example gouramis and bettas prefer soft - neutral water while platys and other livebearers really thrive in hard, alkaline water).

It sounds like you need to do some research from your proposed stocklist. There is no such fish as a scum sucker and those that are usually sold as sucker fish grow way too big for the average hobbyist's aquarium and tend to make more waste than they 'clean' up.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #13 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Male would be no guppies and dwarf gourami and zebra anything long finned or colorful for a male is no ,female would be okay how big is the tank you would need at least thirty gallon what is a scum sucker.
hi. thought I would correct your post... Females and males both have the same temperment so the stockig wouldnt work either with male or female
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #14 
kfryman

+1 to Mo, it really comes down to personality, I have females that are docile and super aggressive, same goes with males.

I wouldn't suggest a betta in a 55 gallon just because you would want lots of flow and water circulation. Also a betta from a cup to a 55 gallon is huge and the betta won't have very life strength to do so.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #15 
ebettalover963

ok, thanks I'll probably just get a serority then I'll read up on that
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #16 
Mo

They have the same temperament IME when it comes to other fish... Females can be placed together under certain circumstances.... Let's say as an example that I have Expereince with. Both male and female bettas will attack guppies under some circumstances IMO. While neons if kept in the right grou and right sized tank usually work
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #17 
ebettalover963

thank you for everything
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #18 
Pilot00

Goldfish can live in warm water but the side effects are extreme to their longevity. Simply put a goldfish in warm water and it will have a super accelerated metabolism and will more or less live half its allotment in regards to its lifespan.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote