Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Oh okay not a hatchet expert you have them got it your advice is better sorry and that is not sarcasm.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

For cories bronze cories would be best as they live in a much wider range of water than the others. Most corries come from soft water.

Harlequin rasbora would work if the water isn't like liquid rock. Flame tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus) are another good choice. They would school in the middle. X-ray tetra (Pristella maxillaris) are another great choice, but the flame tetra will be more colorful.

I think two schools in the midwater and one school on the substrate would be good for a beginner. Less fish the better in case she misses a water change or something like that.

Also caution her to only get male livebearers or else their population will grow. Even with other fish in the aquarium, some fry will still survive.

For plants, most plants will do fine in hard water. Some plants like ludwigia, hornwort, and valisneria thrive in it. Hornwort is a stem plant and great for helping the water stay clean.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Emperor tetra or two works they are one of the few tetras that does not school you can have a pair.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Emperor tetra or two works they are one of the few tetras that does not school you can have a pair.
Where did you hear that? Like all small tetra these are a shoaling species. Everything I've read about these guys say they need at least 9 as they are a little more nippy than the average tetra. Emperor Tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri) Profile and Seriously Fish - Nematobrycon palmeri (Emperor Tetra)

But they can manage in harder water and would work in a 30 gal tank.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Emperor tetras are not like other Tatars they can live happy indepeditly. I think you are confusing them with penguin tetras everything I read said they are fine on there own.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I know from experiance with female platies, I got two, and 20 babies survived. I have only found one dead. 0.0 So that's why she is taking a few males from the 12 that haven't been given away yet. So she's looking at"
-5 male platies?
-5 cories
-10 of either: harlequin rasbora, emporer tetra, flame tetra, hatchetfish, x-ray tetra (I think I got them all)
Do any of those plant need any special lighting?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some java fern sounds good but they hate high lighting.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #18 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Would any of these plants work? water wisteria, anubius, amazon sword, anacharis
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Possibly but swords need high iron. Anarchis grows fast. Anuibus rhizomes can not be in soil drift wood or lava rock works well.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #20 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Emperor tetras are not like other Tatars they can live happy indepeditly. I think you are confusing them with penguin tetras everything I read said they are fine on there own.
The only emperor tetra I know if is Nematobrycon palmeri, and they are a shoaling species according to numerous sources. Even googled it and nothing else came up. I considered them for my 30 gal tank, but decided against them. I like that dark stripe but not their fins. Penguin tetra are Thayeria spp. Different genus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Would any of these plants work? water wisteria, anubius, amazon sword, anacharis
No experience with wisteria, but people claim it to be a hardy plant. Anarcharis is fast growing and needs pretty high light; mine isn't doing the greatest right now. Anubias and java fern are great to root to driftwood, and they give a really neat look. Swords are great low-light plants, but get one of the smaller varieties like dwarf chain sword as the ones sold in pet stores get huge (like 22 inches tall huge). If she does go with swords, be sure to tell her to get root tabs as they are heavy root feeders.

As for the other plants I listed: the hornwort is high light and is best left floating for this reason. Ludwigia (being a stem plant) likes higher light. Vals are a med-high light plant. They can work under med-low lighting, but growth will be best under high lighting. Not really too sure you want that, tho, as those monsters' leaves can get 3 feet long.