Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 
labloverl

Exclamation Parasite experts: PLEASE HELP ME

I have this fish named Sawyer. His problem started with bloating. Here's more on that. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113608

Then a white lump appeared. Then 2 worms popped out of that lump. Here's more on that. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=113924 He went one day with nothing happening, then this morning I find this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hgLeHpainU

He's on his 3rd day of AQS.

He normally lives in a divided, cycled, 10 gallon with 2 other males. One of the males had a white, clear, stringy poop last night. Just the other day, his poop was normal. So is the white poop something to worry about?

Can someone PLEASE tell me what this stuff is? If you have time, you'll be able to understand the whole situation better if you read the 2 threads above.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
lvandert

So your first isolated guy has internal parasite. Stop your aq treatment that isn't doing anything for him, internally. Either Start a 2tsp per gallon treatment of unscented epsom salt or get a parasite medication. As for your next one with white stringy poop, that is also internal parasites I would isolate and also start a 2tsp per gallon of unscented epsom salt or get him on a medication. I would monitor your 3rd guy closely and watch for white and stringy poop. If he comes down with it same treatment and at this point I would strip and clean out your tank.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 
labloverl

Well I only have walmart and LFS to get medications from, so not anything really not brand other than Jungle which I believe walmart has. I've never used medications though.

With epsom salt, so I do it just like the AQS? Leave them in it and change daily? Also, Should I keep the first guy in his gallon tank and float the other guy in a 16 oz petstore cup in the 10 gallon?

And there's nothing I could treat the tank with so I don't have to break the cycle?

Last edited by labloverl; 09-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #4 
lvandert

wally world should have the meds. and yep you treat it just like aq salt. As for what you treat him it thats up to you. What ever your comfy treating him in.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 
labloverl

I'm just asking if the 16 oz cup is too small. Could you tell me what meds you would use and how to use them?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 
lvandert

I can't say exactly what your store has but when you go there read the backs and things that have "internal infections" or "internal parasites" are what you'll want. If they have maracyn I would pick some of that up. If you can't find one make sure you find unscented epsom salt. It will also clear up internal parasites but your first boy may need a little extra bump.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #7 
labloverl

Ok, so walmart didn't have anything for internal parasites but the LFS did. It is Jungle internal parasite guard.

Directions say start with a 25% water change. Use 1 teaspoon for each 5 gallons every other day up to 3 treatments with a 25% water change between each treatment.

How do I adjust this to his 1.5 gallon tank. He won't be safe in there with a 25% water change every other day will he?

Could I take the 2 I'm not treating out and put Sawyer in the 10 gallon to treat? Will the medicine affect the cycle?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #8 
lvandert

[/color]
Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
directions say start with a 25% water change. Use 1 teaspoon for each 5 gallons every other day up to 3 treatments with a 25% water change between each treatment.

How do i adjust this to his 1.5 gallon tank. He won't be safe in there with a 25% water change every other day will he?
i would dose with 1/4 tsp for 1.5 gallon/ 1tsp is 4 1/4 tsp, there for its just under 1/4 tsp per gallon. Dosing at 1/4 tsp for 1.5 gallons would be safe enough. In his 1.5 gallon tank you should be doing 50+ percent water changes every other day normally so the 25% a day will be fine.
could i take the 2 i'm not treating out and put sawyer in the 10 gallon to treat? Will the medicine affect the cycle? medicating will kill a cycle mainly because you have to toss the filter. I would treat in the hospital tank where the gallons are a bit more manageable.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 
labloverl

With the AQS, I was doing daily 100% changes. But the med directions seem to say only 25% every other day...
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #10 
lvandert

op yeah my bad. I missed the every other day part. Just follow the directions on the meds and you'll be fine