Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaudeasher View Post
Yea he is a veiltail, I have noticed that when he starts to bite it again is when it starts to get heavy enough that it seems to drag his tail end down. His tail used to be longer than his body and he starts biting when it gets to about the length of his body again, hes been doing this for months now and nothing I have tried has stopped the trend, I've tried new decorations, taking silk plants out and trying new ones, no filter and filter, big tank and small tank and nothing changes the tail biting lol. He's just a stubborn guy.

Eep doesn't sound fun! D:
Buddha ripped his caudal fin in half a few months back, and surprisingly it hasn't fully grown back. I'm thinking it's jsut hus body's way of saying "no more"
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #12 
jeanclaudeasher

Lol the first few times he did the tail biting I was terrified that it was fin rot and had no idea why he would get it! Now I have seen him bite his tail a few times so now I just keep a close eye on him and make sure to keep his water clean to help prevent infection.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #13 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opioid Slumber View Post
Is there anything that could be stressing him? One of our bettas is extremely active, loves to play, show off and takes up every inch of his 5 gallon tank by flitting around constantly. He started biting his tail a few days ago, so we put new things outside of his tank for him to look at and we will change the view for him frequently. We do this because I asked my fiancee if he might be bored and he agreed that it could be boredom. I've read that bettas can get bored and enjoy having their surroundings changed so they have new things to see when they swim by. This applies to the inside and outside of their tank. We are going to buy some new stuff for the inside for him also, so we can rotate the things he swims by all day and night. Until we get new decorations in a day or two we are just going to keep placing things right outside his tank so he can look at them. We are also starting to get him to play some games, such as putting food in a water bottle cap and floating it in his tank so he can knock it over to get the treat, or letting him eat off our fingers.
The bottle cap idea is awesome!

My turquoise girl gets bored.

I move stuff around in her tank but she basically wants me to talk to her.

My blue girl is highly observant and will look at things analytically.

I will try the bottle cap thing!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #14 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Maybe my tailbiter doesn't like his tank. I don't have any extra tanks but maybe I better go get a Kritter Keeper.

It sounds like this is a tailbiter support group, ha ha.

---edit: and thanks for not being annoyed I hijacked part of your journal about your fish to show a photo of mine. I was rude!
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #15 
Opioid Slumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
The bottle cap idea is awesome!

My turquoise girl gets bored.

I move stuff around in her tank but she basically wants me to talk to her.

My blue girl is highly observant and will look at things analytically.

I will try the bottle cap thing!
Make sure to use one of the shallow bottle caps, they will work better. I'm glad you like the idea!
Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #16 
Alcemistnv

don't worry Muursey!

And I just tried the bottle cap. None of mine seemed interested -.-

Here's a pic of Pudge (kinda blurry) highlighting the damage.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #17 
Opioid Slumber

When trying the bottle caps, make sure you put some of the food right along the edge of the cap so they will be able to see and smell it better. You'll also have to leave it in there with them for a while and will probably have to try it several times before they'll understand how to play with it to get the treat. But one of ours, Sam, was immediately interested and started floofing at the cap right when we put it in his tank. They will need to learn how to turn it over with their nose, which may take a little time and patience for both of you. There are other games you can play with them too.

We also used a cap that is bright blue instead of transparent so they can notice it right away and begin stalking it and going in for the "kill." Hahaha, I love all of our fishies so much and have such fun with them!

Last edited by Opioid Slumber; 09-08-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #18 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Thanks Alcemistnv. Good luck with little Pudge. He looks pretty good to me. At some point, maybe we should just figure we do all we can and maybe they are just more anxious fish.

I just read some long article about tailbiters and it said sometimes it could be too much light. So I gave my tailbiter another Indian Almond Leaf to float beneath the light (as he is in a divided tank that needs light for the live plants) and I stuck another one of his old hidey hole things in there. I don't know what else I can do for the guy, I mean he already had hidey holes and toys and plants but maybe he requires MORE .. ha ha. Or less light. Who knows?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #19 
Alcemistnv

Find the missing chunk xD

He half flared today, so whatever he is doing/has, it's getting better.
Has anyone ever experienced a betta with flaring problems while tail biting?