Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #11 
914joe

I have had him in a 1 gallon jug and i have been adding 1 tsp AQ since sept 9 it's been six days ,my AIL leaves should be here in a couple of days. OFL do you think i should stop the salt or should i continue it for a little longer.He seems to get like little pin holes and then it starts to deteriorate around the hole.I have purchased something called maracyn 2 just in case i need it ,but i don't know how to dose it,the instructions are for a 10 gallon tank.I want to try the leaves first and see if it improves,do you think i should just use the maracyn 2 instead.Here is a pic of him but i cant get a good shot of his tail fin.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Since I only use and recommend natural treatments-I can't help you with the antibiotic use.

If he is getting more pin hole in his fins-it might be due to high KH/GH or hard water since you don't have a filter that could be causing the damage and with hard water the antibiotic are not as effective.

You might want to contact Sakura for OTC antibiotic use....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #13 
914joe

Thank you OFL for your help i will continue using the salt for 3 more days .My IAL leaves came today i cut one in half and put it in his container ,maybe the this along with salt will help,if not i will do a you suggested and contact Sakura.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #14 
JessSH

OFL has WAY more experience than me, so you got some great advice! But since she said she doesn't use meds, I thought I'd chime in. If it's getting to the point that you think you should try something other than salt, I highly recommend Kanaplex by SeaChem. I have used it recently to treat what I thought was fin rot on a new guy, but turned out to be TB. Obviously, it didn't cure the TB, but the difference it made while my little one was on treatment was amazing (it was the early stages of disease). When this outbreak is over & I can afford to rebuild, I'll absolutely be buying more for my fish first aid kit! I've only found it online, but I got it for $7 on eBay, more expensive elsewhere. Although, I firmly believe you should try to stay natural, treat conservatively as long as safely possible & only use meds as a last resort. Good luck!!

Last edited by JessSH; 09-15-2012 at 04:52 PM.
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #15 
914joe

I am going to hold off for another week before using any medication,unless he starts looking worse than he does now.I already have purchased medication for him a couple of days ago its called Maracyn 2,it's not the one you recommend ,but i have read that many people also have had success using this.Thanks for your help,and i agree about old fishlady she shure knows her stuff,i am new to fish keeping she has helped out quite a bit already.