Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #1 
dszoo

HMPK x CT

Hi all,
I'm pretty excited about our breeding project. Here is what we are planning for our 1st and up coming spawn.

Still getting spawning tank set up, various supplies, etc.

dszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Your male is not a HMPK, he's a PK.
I wouldn't breed these two. Different tail types will give you messy fins on your fry.

I've always believed that if you're going to spend all the money and time a spawn requires for the next few months, why not start off with a good pair?

Guess is up to you but that's my advice.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 
dszoo

Thanks for the input. My overall goal is to produce CTPK from scratch. We bought our males as HMPK from Junglist here on the forum.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #4 
Fabian

If you want a ctpk,it is very hard.You need a pk with good finage and a ct with even rays and wide tail.
I currently have some frys from a pk male X ct female.
You also need to keep breeding them to get a ctpk,it is not as easy as you think.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
dszoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
If you want a ctpk,it is very hard.You need a pk with good finage and a ct with even rays and wide tail.
I currently have some frys from a pk male X ct female.
You also need to keep breeding them to get a ctpk,it is not as easy as you think.
I know it's not gonna be easy to get them and will take years to get a show quality line but as a long term goal I think it would be fun.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

There's no such thing as a showable CTPK, they don't meet the standards. You can show PKs or CTs.
If you're wanting your fish to have 180 degree spread you need to get yourself a HMPK, this one will not give you such results and the edges of the caudal are very rounded.

Anyway, best of luck. Spawning is easy... getting the fry to grow nicely is the challenge. Be sure you read up a lot before putting these two together. If you need cultures let me know, I can easily send you some microworms in the mail.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 
dszoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
There's no such thing as a showable CTPK, they don't meet the standards. You can show PKs or CTs.
If you're wanting your fish to have 180 degree spread you need to get yourself a HMPK, this one will not give you such results and the edges of the caudal are very rounded.

Anyway, best of luck. Spawning is easy... getting the fry to grow nicely is the challenge. Be sure you read up a lot before putting these two together. If you need cultures let me know, I can easily send you some microworms in the mail.
Thanks I may indeed get cultures from you when we are ready, yeah I've just started reading. As far as our males being a HMPK, they are still young and I was told as they grow bigger their spread will widen up. We bought them from this thread http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=112913
Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

When you are about 2 weeks off from spawning let me know and I'll send you some worms in a ziplock back.
They will not be ready to feed which is why you need them ahead of time.