Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellets and freeze-dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-5 pellets twice daily, 2-4 blood worms once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually once a day, occasionally every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta water conditioner, stress coat with aloe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: 7
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail fin has black spots near the end, and it started fraying a few days ago, but hasn't gotten any worse since

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Occasionally less active, but this could have been due to an unheated tank and rapidly changing seasons. He's been much better since I started floating his tank in a larger heated one earlier today

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed small black transparent spots on his fins when I first bought him about 2 months ago, but I started a thread here and everybody said not to worry about it.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1st treatment: aq. salt at 1tsp/gallon for 7 days, and 2tsp/gallon for 3 days. The black spots were almost gone, but I had to stop treatment due to the 10-day limit. 2nd treatment: "API Splendid Betta BettaFix Remedy" for 7 days, as directed. 3rd treatment: aq. salt at 2tsp/gallon and "API Pimafix" for 7 days

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's been sick since I bought him

How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought as an adult about 2 months ago
Attached Images

Iveray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Try a general medicine. Also use multiple meds and salt always worked when one of my fish got sick.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 
Silverfang

That's tail biting, it may or may not have led to rot. Red bettas often have black in their colouring so I'm not sure if that is rot or not. You can try AQ salt if you are really concerned. You want to do daily WC's with salt, try 1 tsp/ Gal.

For now I wouldn't use any other medicines, just a round of AQ salt, that can usually clear things up. Use the salt for 7-10 days.

You mentioned he was being floated in a heated tank. He will really benefit from an adjustable heater. They need warmer water. I would also mention, decor in your tank. This will help him feel more secure, and may help with tail biting.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 
Iveray

ChoclateBetta: What do you mean by "general medicine"?

Silverfang: No, it's not tail biting. The missing chunks are what's rotted away. It started as just black spots when I bought him and has been getting progressively worse. For the first few weeks I thought it was just his color, but the tip of his tail fin is actually blue(most of the blue has rotted away, but you can still see a bit of it). I tried aq. salt first and it helped a lot, but it didn't kill whatever's causing this before I ran into the 10-day limit.

As for being floated in a heated tank, the 1-gallon is only a hospital tank(floating it means easier water changes, less medicine, and not having to buy a second heater). The larger tank is what he would normally be in.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 
Iveray

And I suppose he could have started biting his tail as well, but I haven't noticed any new missing chunks. I'm more worried about killing whatever's been rotting his fin.