Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #1 
Unaa

Talking Hi My Name is ________.

Hi everyone!
I decided to buy my 3rd Betta in my life a couple weeks ago. Since the last one was about 6 years ago and I like the research things these days I found out I was doig it all wrong before. Poor Crunchy in a half gallon bowl. Not only that but I had no idea there were so many types! After a little research on Internet buying I hit the purchase button on a HM. Then panicked because I didn't research enough! So I bought a 6.5 gal tank, set up my 2 gal jar with lid, water and live plants supported by medium rocks so no gravel to collect junk and bought everything essential. Which in my panic meant 4 trips to petsmart returning and buying more of whatever. The bowl water had everything but perfect pH and I didn't want to use chemicals so I bought IALs that came same day as Mr. Betta.
My Betta finally arrived yesterday after his 6 day trip around the world and he is in wonderful condition considering. Anal fin has one small split and tail is a little chewed. He was curious and hungry right away not shy or timid like I expected. I took about 2 hours to acclimate him and then he was off.
He started blowing bubbles after he got one piece of food (I waited about 4 hours to feed him that.) This morning there was a huge bubble nest. Im so happy my stressing paid off! My husband's happy im not freaking out anymore.
I'm a little hesitant about feeding him. I gave him 2 pieces of food yesterday and a few this morning, just the dry little bites. Any thoughts as to how long I should wait before I let him eat all he wants in 2 min (that seems to be the most common reccomended time). I bought frozen brine shrimp and blood worms as well and I'm eager to see his reaction. When can I start on these?
Finally, he has no name! I'm drawing a blank! I've always been good at this, names just come to me when I see them and I got nothin. My 22 month old called him "Bug" after saying "fish" but it seems like such a plain name for a fancy boy. It's the only thing I can think of.
Well, I'm really glad I found this site I feel fairly prepared to care for him now.
Unaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Enjoy your stay....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined us here! If he is willing to eat so soon I would offer just pellet (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening), for now. Hold off on the shrimp and blood worms until he has settled some more...only because of his long journey, then add them in as a treat like twice a week. He sounds like he is settling in well..can't wait to see a pic or two!~
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #4 
KcSaf

welcome to the forum!
KcSaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #7 
CandiceMM

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got everything covered. Can't wait to see some pics.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum and congrats. on your new fishy friend.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first meal, name!, new member, travel wounds