Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 
twolovers101

Unhappy Nervous Betta

I'm new here, so bear with me if this is a bit confusing... or in the wrong spot... A few days ago (on Friday) I did a major clean in my 3 gallon because I had to remove my hornwort (it was damaging my betta's fins) and replaced it with anacharis. My betta (Little Guy) was safely in a temporary cup for the duration while I let the water get back up to a comfy temperature, I slowly put him back in the tank after it adjusted and he was just fine until later that night. I'm afraid I've terrified the poor creature, I went to take a picture of him with my new camera and I must have done it too fast and too suddenly because he rocketed off to the corner of the tank, and when he came out he was showing fear stripes :( Ever since then he's clamped his fins, other that that, and being a little shyer than usual he's fine. He still eats well and comes up to the top of the tank when he sees me expecting food, he's swimming normally and just as active as ever except for the clamped fins and nervousness (he still gets fear stripes if I move too quickly around him) I've turned off his over head LED light, but I'm keeping my room light on which is a very bright daylight bulb hoping that will help relax him some. Is there anything I can do for the little guy? I just feel so bad.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 
lelei

Some of the fishy's don't like the flash, and it just takes em a little time to adjust to it, try every so often around him, not directly at him, like the tank itself, or the decor, and see what he does, if he gets nervous, he will eventually get used to it, then take pix of him, without flash, and then opt for flash here and there, one of my fish used to love the camera, he would get right in the frame when he saw the cam..now he is a little skittish, and dashes around so everytime I try to focus in on him, he's zooming so fast I just get a blur..

but some like it, some don't I would try different things, and talk to him at the time your are doing this, so he can hear your voice, it sometimes tends to be more calming and use your finger outside of the tank, to have him follow it, and then try to get a snap..:) (it's for distraction, and sometimes works too)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

How long have you had him? I bought a female betta last week, and she gets stressed out really easily. One minute she's bright purple, and then I move too fast or accidentally bump the table and all her color fades and she gets stress stripes. I think some fish are just more easily stressed out than others. And I've also only had my girl for less than a week so she's still adjusting. Maybe if you haven't had your fish for long, he's still adjusting? Or he was a little stressed from the water change so the surprise of your camera spooked him a little more.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #4 
lelei

Also what I do if I accidentally did something to scare my fishy's I get on my knees, and peek in to see what they are doing..and then call thier name, and see how they respond, leaving the light on is fine btw..just talking to him more will help him feel a lil better, and play with him, with your finger, he needs to get used to seeing you, and your motion in and out of the room.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #5 
twolovers101

Thing is, I didn't even use the flash, he just saw the camera and freaked... :/
I actually never took the picture because he seemed so scared, on a side note, he does have a resin log to hide and play in, but he still spends much of his time just swimming around the tank and amongst the plants.. and doing his little OCD thing of scouring the bottom of the tank looking for crumbs he may have left behind xD

EDIT: I've had him for little over a week now, the water change may have stressed him out a bit so that may be part of it. I'm generally a quiet person, but I'll try to talk to him more, on a more amusing note... he comes for food when I whistle... hehe

Thanks for the welcome :)

Last edited by twolovers101; 09-17-2012 at 12:16 PM.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Well, just try to keep him as comfortable as possible. Just have a dim light and cover his tank to soothe him. Just approach him carefully next time. They're aggressive fishes but scaredy cats at heart. xD
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Its okay I scared Perseus once during the summer it was so hot I would leave the hood off his tank but left the other cover on and there is a feeding hole in it and I thought well I better cover that in case he decides to jump, so I taped on a small piece of cardboard and he got scared and went to the other side of the tank and stayed their a couple of hours. Like you I felt so bad but they get over it quick and your guy will be fine just give him some time. Welcome to the forum this is the perfect place to learn about all things Betta !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote