Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

are HBH frog and tadpole bits destroying my water?!

i picked up some HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites yesterday, and this morning my fiance put them in the community tank. by the time i got home from work at 1pm, the water was so densely cloudy i couldn't see any of my fish or frogs. what's worse, all of the fish were hanging out at the top of the tank, gasping their gills like they couldn't breathe. i did a 100% water change and she put more in since the old pellets were gone after i sifted the gravel. well now it's 11:30 pm and the water is clouded over and the fish are gasping at the surface again. is it the pellets that are doing this? should we stop using them altogether, or should i just tell her to cut down on the quantity? and most importantly, is this dangerous to the fish and frogs, or is it merely unsightly?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would make sure you are the only one who feeds them.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 
Opioid Slumber

We have fixed the problem and aren't going to use the Frog Bites again. The first time I put the food in there my hand slipped and I accidentally dumped too much in the tank. After my fiancee cleaned the tank I asked if we should put some more in there for our froggies and he said it should be fine. So the second time I made sure to be careful with the pellet container and the recommended amount was all that I put in. It STILL clouded up, so I know that I did nothing wrong. The reason we even bought those pellets is because I read about them on this forum.

We did buy the pellets at a small LPS that has been in business for as long as I can remember. But in a five mile radius we have a Petco and PetSmart, as well as a Wal-Mart. Most people shop at those places these days, so we wondered if the food had been sitting on the shelf for so long that it went bad.

The bottom line is, those pellets are going in the trash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I would make sure you are the only one who feeds them.
Hahaha, that's a ridiculous overreaction! "Oh no, she should NEVER feed the fish EVER again, because her hand slipped and too many pellets fell in the tank!" I feed all seven of our tanks daily. The second time the tank got cloudy even though the correct amount was put in, so it clearly (pun intended ) wasn't my fault. So you have no reason to suggest that I shouldn't feed my pets. I'm disabled and can't work, so I'm the only person besides our ten month old son who is home all day.
Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

how many did you feed?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #5 
Opioid Slumber

The first time my hand slipped and dumped out way too much, so I'm not sure. The second time I gave them about five pellets a piece since the directions said they eat 3-6 pellets a day and we have greedy frogs. But I also gave them enough for two days because I read on the ADF Care forum on here that you can do that so you'll only need to put them in every other day. So I guess it was a total of twenty pellets, ten for each frog spread over two days.
Opioid Slumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

I can only say it's not a good idea to leave food in the tank ... :/ it's not necessarily the food that's causin the cloudiness. start with one pelletzzz and take whateer's not eaten out after 20 minutes. That's usually a good rule of thumb for these things
ao is offline   Reply With Quote