Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #21 
LebronTheBetta

You should only change the cartridge when the thing itself is falling apart. You should never replace it every month as the cycle will have to start over and such.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #22 
Pogthefish

Never, it holds beneficial bacteria. If you want fresh activated carbon,, cut off the top and pull out the plastic thingy over a bucket and all the carbon will come out, and you can replace it with new activated carbon. and ptu a plastic clip on the top. If the gunk in the cartridge is getting too much, swish (dont scrub) it out in a bucket of old tank water. Can someone plz explain cycling to her? I'm really bad at it.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #23 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Never, it holds beneficial bacteria. If you want fresh activated carbon,, cut off the top and pull out the plastic thingy over a bucket and all the carbon will come out, and you can replace it with new activated carbon. and ptu a plastic clip on the top. If the gunk in the cartridge is getting too much, swish (dont scrub) it out in a bucket of old tank water. Can someone plz explain cycling to her? I'm really bad at it.
Oh okay. I get it. That makes a lot of sense. Ekkk well I know now not to change it out then. Thanks for the heads up. You know I thought to myself yesterday that I should of waited and not changed the cartridge. *sigh* I should of listened to my gut. Well hopefully everything is okay. Thanks again.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #24 
Pogthefish

Its fine, in about a month or so, you should stop seeing ammonia readings and start seeing nitrate readings (not to be confused with nitrite readings)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #25 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You should only change the cartridge when the thing itself is falling apart. You should never replace it every month as the cycle will have to start over and such.
Oh okay that makes a lot of sense. I will definitely not make that mistake again. I'm trying so very hard to do things right. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate that.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

No problem, so you need help on cycling? It's just the process of 2 special bacteria (Nitrosomas and Nitrospira) making a colony in the filter to eat up ammonia and nitrite. You still need to do water changes as the bacteria won't eat the nitrate. Easy?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #27 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
No problem, so you need help on cycling? It's just the process of 2 special bacteria (Nitrosomas and Nitrospira) making a colony in the filter to eat up ammonia and nitrite. You still need to do water changes as the bacteria won't eat the nitrate. Easy?
Oh I see. That is kinda cool when you say it that way. That doesn't sound too hard. Now how often should I do a water change? I have heard twice a week one 50% and then 100% water change. Would you say that is correct?

I have a 2.5 gal tank with a filter that houses a betta, snail and two live plants.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #28 
laynisample

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
Oh I see. That is kinda cool when you say it that way. That doesn't sound too hard. Now how often should I do a water change? I have heard twice a week one 50% and then 100% water change. Would you say that is correct?

I have a 2.5 gal tank with a filter that houses a betta, snail and two live plants.
With your current tank, that is a good amount of water changes. HOWEVER. A cycled tank should never have a 100% water change.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #29 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
With your current tank, that is a good amount of water changes. HOWEVER. A cycled tank should never have a 100% water change.
Okay. Gotcha. That was where I was confused. Thank you for clearing that up for me. This forum rocks!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #30 
laynisample

It really does! I've been here about a week and I've learned more than I ever thought I could about the fish and already have two..
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote