Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #21 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
You should only change the cartridge when the thing itself is falling apart. You should never replace it every month as the cycle will have to start over and such.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #22 
Pogthefish
Member
 
Pogthefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: maryland
Never, it holds beneficial bacteria. If you want fresh activated carbon,, cut off the top and pull out the plastic thingy over a bucket and all the carbon will come out, and you can replace it with new activated carbon. and ptu a plastic clip on the top. If the gunk in the cartridge is getting too much, swish (dont scrub) it out in a bucket of old tank water. Can someone plz explain cycling to her? I'm really bad at it.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #23 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Never, it holds beneficial bacteria. If you want fresh activated carbon,, cut off the top and pull out the plastic thingy over a bucket and all the carbon will come out, and you can replace it with new activated carbon. and ptu a plastic clip on the top. If the gunk in the cartridge is getting too much, swish (dont scrub) it out in a bucket of old tank water. Can someone plz explain cycling to her? I'm really bad at it.
Oh okay. I get it. That makes a lot of sense. Ekkk well I know now not to change it out then. Thanks for the heads up. You know I thought to myself yesterday that I should of waited and not changed the cartridge. *sigh* I should of listened to my gut. Well hopefully everything is okay. Thanks again.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #24 
Pogthefish
Member
 
Pogthefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: maryland
Its fine, in about a month or so, you should stop seeing ammonia readings and start seeing nitrate readings (not to be confused with nitrite readings)
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #25 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You should only change the cartridge when the thing itself is falling apart. You should never replace it every month as the cycle will have to start over and such.
Oh okay that makes a lot of sense. I will definitely not make that mistake again. I'm trying so very hard to do things right. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate that.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
No problem, so you need help on cycling? It's just the process of 2 special bacteria (Nitrosomas and Nitrospira) making a colony in the filter to eat up ammonia and nitrite. You still need to do water changes as the bacteria won't eat the nitrate. Easy?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #27 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
No problem, so you need help on cycling? It's just the process of 2 special bacteria (Nitrosomas and Nitrospira) making a colony in the filter to eat up ammonia and nitrite. You still need to do water changes as the bacteria won't eat the nitrate. Easy?
Oh I see. That is kinda cool when you say it that way. That doesn't sound too hard. Now how often should I do a water change? I have heard twice a week one 50% and then 100% water change. Would you say that is correct?

I have a 2.5 gal tank with a filter that houses a betta, snail and two live plants.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #28 
laynisample
Member
 
laynisample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
Oh I see. That is kinda cool when you say it that way. That doesn't sound too hard. Now how often should I do a water change? I have heard twice a week one 50% and then 100% water change. Would you say that is correct?

I have a 2.5 gal tank with a filter that houses a betta, snail and two live plants.
With your current tank, that is a good amount of water changes. HOWEVER. A cycled tank should never have a 100% water change.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #29 
RedRaz
Member
 
RedRaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
With your current tank, that is a good amount of water changes. HOWEVER. A cycled tank should never have a 100% water change.
Okay. Gotcha. That was where I was confused. Thank you for clearing that up for me. This forum rocks!
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #30 
laynisample
Member
 
laynisample's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
It really does! I've been here about a week and I've learned more than I ever thought I could about the fish and already have two..
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery Snails? Do they get along with Bettas? doggyhog Betta Fish Compatibility 9 04-01-2012 08:08 PM
What can go in with bettas(besides snails) plad556 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 05-27-2011 09:15 PM
Do Bettas eat snails? SomeDudeAtHome Betta Fish Care 15 03-20-2011 12:42 PM
Anyone kept Bettas with Nerite Snails? Akeath Betta Fish Care 3 02-09-2011 03:59 PM
Bettas and... snails? Compatibility? Pink Fishie Betta Fish Compatibility 3 07-22-2008 03:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.