Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
funnyskin

Question How do you think these will do?

Just got a 125 liter tank 4 days into the nitrogen cycle and am thinking of getting

male & female betta
Platys
kuhli loach
rasboras
and maybe a spiny eel

cant make up my mind has any one got any recommendations?
funnyskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Rasboras are great I keep a galaxy rasboras more coming soon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 
djembekah

do not keep a male and female splendens together. they will try to mate and or kill each other!!!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Just remembered galaxy rasboras are danios sorry Harlequin are nice. I totally agree with the above poster I keep a male and female in separate tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 
DragonFish

You'll definitely want to go with either male or female, not both. Assuming you're talking about your normal store-bought Betta Spendens and not a wild betta species, males and females can't be kept together in the same undivided tank as long-term tank mates except in very special circumstances by very experienced breeders with sibling fish they have personally bred.

You could certainly do one male, one female, OR a group of female bettas called a Sorority(http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402 <-- Link to the forums sticky on Sororities, and there is tons of awesome Sorority info if you search the forum)if you like though. All up to your preferences.

Platys could be a hit or miss, it depends on the betta. You might have a little more luck with them if you went with a single female, an aggressive male might not take too kindly to them....but a calmer male might do just fine. Its hard to say. If you go with a Sorority, I wouldn't add them though because you'll need the extra room for the proper number of girls.

I personally adore Rasboras, the ones I had way back when were very peaceful and just totally adorable. A nice school of them with a single male or female or even a Sorority would be just fine I'd think.

A few Kulis should be alright since they tend to stick to the bottom and keep out of the way. If you do a Sorority along with a school of Rasboras though not sure if that'd be too much stock-wise....

Best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

I don't recommend keeping males & females together but sometimes it does work, though it can be rare. Before he got a bad case of "the fuzzies" and died a friend had a male, two females and a dwarf gourami in a single tank all store bought. It was actually a 10 gallon and everyone got along like a big happy family. I always thought the tank was too small but everyone thrived for quite awhile before there was a columnaris outbreak.

However! I don't recommend doing this as it can very easily turn out to be a very bad situation.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #7 
funnyskin

Cheers for the advice, think im gonna go with 1 female tank fully cycled now just got my first fish today 4 sunrise platys, the guy in the LFS said theyd be fine with a betta, got a dead nice colour to em to :D
funnyskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmmm, a 9-12" eel is not a good idea with small fishies. Can't believe everyone missed that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 
djembekah

whoops! yeah not an eel
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Oh geez.....I even remember thinking about the eel and how I should really comment about that when I first read the post...can't believe I completely forgot about that in my response. xD; Whoops....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote