Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 
GreyHounD

Spawning Tank

If you guys have time to post your spawning tank's full image I would be really happy!

I just wanted to have an idea how an spawning tank looks like other than those in containers who has no filter or heater or what so ever.

Though even without equipments I still want a general idea of a spawning aquarium

So that next time I'll breed I wouldn't have difficulty taking pictures and checking where they are and stuff! Thank you!
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I use a natural method to spawn-using either 5-10gal soil based-full to the top with water, lots and lots of stem and floating plants, no filtration other than what the plant provide. I add a oak leaf to float to use to anchor the nest-he will either use that or water lettuce.

Along with the breeders-the tank will also have lots of trumpet snail, ramshorn and pond snails-they help maintain the system as well as produce microorganisms for fry food. I also keep lots of red cherry shrimp in the spawning tank to complete the little ecosystem.

This is what my 10gal spawning tanks look like

This is my 5gal I use to spawn
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 
GreyHounD

Thank you!

I'll be saving up to buy my last tank and i'll be making it a spawning tank.

Wouldn't that make it hard for the fry to get up incase they fall all the way down?

Last edited by GreyHounD; 09-17-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you are referring to the water full to the top...No, never been a problem in my spawns. The tiny fry or my tiny fry can get themselves back to the top without issues and they use the plants to rest on as well as the walls.

My tiny fry with large yolk sac don't seem to fall all that much and when they do...they float slowly downward-they don't drop like a stone and usually can get themselves back to the nest on their own even when on the floor. They will zip straight to the nest or stop on a plant leaf or wall for a second before they continue the trip to the nest-provided that the male doesn't help them.

Remember when falling in water it is not like falling in the air-water help them stay buoyant.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
GreyHounD

Ok! I got to get a tank like that.

Thanks again! just what I needed ^^.

Will the 10 gallon serve as a grow out later on? incase of just 10-20 eggs?.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

A 10gal will be fine for 20-30 fry for the first month or so-but bigger is better for growth/development