Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #191 
Imagine

I got a really handsome crown tail as a baby from petco, but I do wish they would raise their standards for betta care there.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #192 
shi

The PetCos around my area actually take the best care of their bettas o-o oddly...hahaha they have the cleanest water and biggest cups. Of course, I do see 1 or 2 dead bettas out of the batch when I go sometimes, but all the other fish look fine. Haven't seen any dead betta babies, but there are definitely itty bitty ones there ):

When I got my betta baby, it was the biggest one there, and he was probably barely 2 cm....
shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #193 
LadyDayne

I just got a baby betta from Petsmart. She is tiny, about an inch long. I didn't think even an inch but my husband pulled out the measuring tape and sure enough shes about one exact inch.
LadyDayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #194 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah94 View Post
If it is a girl, her name is Temperance. If not, it's Rick Castle -but that chat is for later.
OMG Castle is my favorite showww! One more week until the season premiere! *flails*

Hehe sorry...

Regarding the baby bettas,
I've seen baby bettas in Petco of differing sizes, but I went into Petco last week one time, and there was one that was about the size of my pinky nail. I've never seen a baby betta as big as the OP's tho.

Oh, and I just realized this thread is REALLY old.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 09-17-2012 at 08:07 AM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #195 
JadeAngel

I've seen baby bettas at the petco I go to in Wilkes Barre, pa. I never saw them there before, so they must have just started that recently. The smallest was maybe 1.5-2cm long and looked clear brown. I don't think I would get a baby because you can't tell what they will look like.

Our Petco is off and on with their fish care. I mean it's generally pretty good (aside from their betta cups size, but clean water) but there were 2 times I went there that I got a bit annoyed at their negligence and ignorance.

One female was completely covered in fuzz. I mean, head to tail... it was in a round ball of fuzz 3 times the size of it's body. I brought it to their attention and said "there's something wrong with this betta... she needs medicine" and the girl (that doesn't seem to work there anymore) snidely replied "uh, yeaah... she's DEAD" I'm like "oh, do dead fish breathe?" then she realized she was alive "omg... you're right..." and put her aside, supposedly to be given medicine.

I went there again yesterday and 2 betta males had fungus or bad ich... and I pointed it out (1 was really bad and covered the whole body). The girl acted like she couldnt care less.. I said the need medicine. She said it's not her job to give medicine, the girl in the morning takes care of the fish. I said then make sure she knows these guys are sick. I went on to look for an african dwarf frog (after telling her I was there to buy one, and asking her if she knew how to tell males from females. I kind of know but I'm not certain) and after looking around for 20 minutes I told her which frog I wanted. THEN she told me (after knowing I was looking for a frog, and letting me look around for a while) that they weren't selling ANY aquarium creatures because all of the tanks in the store had ich. Really? So first she didn't know or care that the bettas were sick... and it wasn't her job to know that... but she apparently knew that ALL the fish had ich?
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #196 
betta526

Hey everyone. Hope this is where I should post. Don't know if I'm supposed to start a new thread. If this post needs to be a new thread, could someone tell me? Thanks.

This is my story. I started buying baby bettas from Petco about two months ago to stock a betta sorority tank. So far I have about nine females that are doing well and are getting along. I always try to get babies that are big enough that I can see the white dot on the belly. There have been times when the baby end up to be male. I would just separate him into his own home or exchange him for a female. A few of the males I kept are growing very nicely.

I really caught the bug in a big way because now I have my own fish room in the basement that currently consisted of two 10 gallons, six 5 gallons and six 2.5 gallons. I also have a 30 gallon show tank upstairs. Sadly that one just lost 11 female Bettas that I kept 6-7 months long. I think they were stressed from new tankmates I introduced. It was horrible. Poor girls. As you can guess I am quite busy keeping these tanks up with water changes. But seeing them thrive makes it worthwhile.

I'll post some photos of these babies hopefully tomorrow.
betta526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #197 
shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta526 View Post
Hey everyone. Hope this is where I should post. Don't know if I'm supposed to start a new thread. If this post needs to be a new thread, could someone tell me? Thanks.

This is my story. I started buying baby bettas from Petco about two months ago to stock a betta sorority tank. So far I have about nine females that are doing well and are getting along. I always try to get babies that are big enough that I can see the white dot on the belly. There have been times when the baby end up to be male. I would just separate him into his own home or exchange him for a female. A few of the males I kept are growing very nicely.

I really caught the bug in a big way because now I have my own fish room in the basement that currently consisted of two 10 gallons, six 5 gallons and six 2.5 gallons. I also have a 30 gallon show tank upstairs. Sadly that one just lost 11 female Bettas that I kept 6-7 months long. I think they were stressed from new tankmates I introduced. It was horrible. Poor girls. As you can guess I am quite busy keeping these tanks up with water changes. But seeing them thrive makes it worthwhile.

I'll post some photos of these babies hopefully tomorrow.
Wooow nice ouo The fact you have the room and resources to do this is amazing :o I honestly couldn't tell any of the baby's genders, not sure if they're too small or if they just want to be androgynous I'm hoping for a male, but honestly, I'm so attached to my fish I don't really care what gender it is anymore lol
shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #198 
bajabluefish

I bought a baby betta from Petco and within two days of having him he started acting very weird (standing on his tail, swimming in spirals, it was apparent to me that he was dying) I woke up the next morning to see him dead :(
Poor little thing :/
bajabluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #199 
betta526

Poor thing! Sorry to hear that.
betta526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #200 
LadyVictorian

Still considering a baby betta...though I might go for a female or a rescue and see if I can get a sick fish for free or cheap and take it home. I have 4 empty shelves I want to use for sickly fish, not all at once but it would be nice...then again at the same time I have turned into a half moon snob. I'll have to continue to think this over. It took me a year before I finally sat down and agreed I should get Aquarius my fish betta since I was 10. This next step of babies and rescuing or more betta's could very well take another full year on my part. >.< Still they are so sweet and yet...so doomed. I want to save just one, just ONE and give it a good home. I just can't imagine having someone else have taken Aquaman and given him a tiny tank to die in. Gah, he is such a personality on fins with speed in his system I just die thinking of him in that doomed sort of life.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta