betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #251 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That's it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #252 
TheCrabbyTabby

I had a cocker spaniel once. Prettiest dog you'd ever seen, but had one of those nuerotic streaks in her. She would bark aggressively and lunge like crazy when she saw another dog, but strangely not every dog made her act that way. She also snapped at you when you pet her rear end or tried to touch her when she was asleep.

Also, for some odd reason I never could figure out, she hated big black bags with a passion. She would panic when she saw them and bark at them like something was about to jump out of them and eat her.

Never getting another cocker spaniel again, god forbid. I do really want a pit bull though, and have it become a Canine Good Citizen and help to educate the masses on how sweet, loyal and loving they are.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #253 
teeneythebetta

Did you get her as an adult, Crabby Tabby? If you did, maybe she was abused? :(

A good thing to do with a pit bull is to make it a therapy dog :))
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #254 
revolutionrocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
I had a cocker spaniel once. Prettiest dog you'd ever seen, but had one of those nuerotic streaks in her. She would bark aggressively and lunge like crazy when she saw another dog, but strangely not every dog made her act that way. She also snapped at you when you pet her rear end or tried to touch her when she was asleep.

Also, for some odd reason I never could figure out, she hated big black bags with a passion. She would panic when she saw them and bark at them like something was about to jump out of them and eat her.

Never getting another cocker spaniel again, god forbid. I do really want a pit bull though, and have it become a Canine Good Citizen and help to educate the masses on how sweet, loyal and loving they are.
Cocker Spaniels are great dogs, but some lines suffer from rage syndrome, which is a genetic form of epilepsy that causes them to be randomly vicious. There could be other reasons for her behavior though, especially if you adopted her and she had a bad past.

She sounds like she was fearful of dogs and maybe had some handling sensitivity. In regards to sleeping, that's why they say "let sleeping dogs lie."
Recently there was an "attack" and an infant ended up dead because he was trying to stand up using the family dog, who was asleep. There are a lot of dogs who panic and lash out if they're woken up while they're asleep.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #255 
TheCrabbyTabby

She was a year old when we got her, and a real mess too. She was in need of a good grooming, and a couple of good meals. She was a rescue from a cocker spaniel rescue organization.

Your talk of cocker rage as a form of epilepsy reminds me of an incident with her when she was about 6 or 7. She was sleeping when all of a sudden she woke up, couldn't get up at first, and when she did it was very shaky and jerky, then she wobbled halfway up the stair after me, while I was getting my mom's attention and was whining the whole time. After a few minutes she was perfectly fine and back to her usual self.

Mom said it might have been a seizure of some sort, though this was the only time it happened. She was a pure bred, CKC english cocker, with the papers to prove it. Yeah, I know its not anything like the highly distinguished AKC. In fact, she was most likely bred in a puppy mill. Other than all her mental issues, she was in great health. Our vet even remarked that she would have been a good candidate for breeding if she wasn't so darn mental and already altered (fixed).

Eventually though, she was her own undoing. She died from getting into a trash can, getting a bowel obstruction, and then having a reaction to the anesthesia and dieing during the operation to remove said obstruction. That was at the end of summer last year. Can't say it was a tragic and painful loss for me, though I did cry a little over her passing. I felt it was more a relief as we no longer had to worry if and when she would bite someone seriously enough to be of concern.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 09-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #256 
teeneythebetta

Aww I'm sorry for your loss. :(
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #257 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am so sorry for your terribly tragic loss.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #258 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Canadian Kennel Club sucks?
AKC dogs are bred in puppy mills too.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #259 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow, Another myth LPS is always best. Ares that recently closed kept fish the worse they would to keep Bettas in dirty small tanks. They in the goldfish tank would put a bottle filled with ice to keep everything okay. They also said aquarium plants dirty the water, a healthy one will not. Around here petsmart bad unless buying lucky bamboo and Petco good. Not always the case. Our Petco people are great. One had the same color as mine in the same size tank 10 gallon with chocolate Betta.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #260 
bettalover2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Fish do make great party favors if the people who take them have the proper supplies for care.
Well, yes, but a lot of times people don't and take them 'cause their free.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote