Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Busted Ear Drums

The town that I live in is under tornado watch for a while. A lady on the rugby team told me that changes in air pressure can bust a fishy's ear drums? What do ya'll think?
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
RandyTheBettaFish

I honestly dont know! If its true then poor fishies! I hope its untrue..
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #3 
RoxieStClaire

I don't know either, but I assume that only matters if the windows break. The change in air pressure would be caused by the vacuum effect created by all the air rushing in and out of an opening. As long as they stay intact, the air pressure inside the house should stay constant.

Source: What I can remember from my high school physics class.
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #4 
nickdolin

I would think that sudden/drastic air pressure changes could bust a humans ear drums, however, with fish being under water I would think they wouldn't suspect much. I'd be more concerned with something knocking the tank over and/or debris getting into the tank than their hearing.
nickdolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #5 
deso

I'd only be concerned about the ruptured ear drums scenario if you were to take the fish on an airplane. As far as I know, the air pressure changes that tornadoes create are nothing compared to the ascents and descents of an airplane. Additionally, the pressure changes of a storm system cannot cause your house or windows to explode, contrary to popular belief.

I'm not sure of the actual risk since fish are airmailed every day from Asia and are here in our aquariums with no ill effects, but I can tell you that the pain of a busted eardrum is like someone pounding an icepick into your ear (it's happened to me 4 times) and there is a real chance of the person or animal affected going deaf if left untreated.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #6 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I'd only be concerned about the ruptured ear drums scenario if you were to take the fish on an airplane. As far as I know, the air pressure changes that tornadoes create are nothing compared to the ascents and descents of an airplane. Additionally, the pressure changes of a storm system cannot cause your house or windows to explode, contrary to popular belief.

I'm not sure of the actual risk since fish are airmailed every day from Asia and are here in our aquariums with no ill effects, but I can tell you that the pain of a busted eardrum is like someone pounding an icepick into your ear (it's happened to me 4 times) and there is a real chance of the person or animal affected going deaf if left untreated.
hmm...
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote