Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #1 
ameliagypsy

Baby and Ammonia

I've had my baby for close to a week in a one gallon tank with gravel and a plant. It is heated (80-82) but has no filter. Judging by a growth chart, he seems to be between 7 and 8 weeks old. I've been doing daily 50 percent water changes and one 100 percent water change a week where I rinse out the gravel. I've been feeding him a pinch of crushed omega one betta buffet pellets a few times a day which he always eats eagerly along with a blood worm or frozen brine shrimp here and there as a treat. He's been doing great and is very active, however I noticed today his dorsal fin is beginning to clamp up a bit and he isn't opening his tail as much. He's still active and has an appetite. I'm worried about ammonia so I tested the water and got a 0.25 reading. I did an immediate 60 percent water change and got it back down to zero. Is there anything else I can do to help him unclamp his fins?

Am I feeding him too much? Should I do 100 percent daily water changes? Would that stress him out more? This is my first time keeping a baby. Also, should I take the gravel out to make water changes easier and more efficient?

I have a five gallon that I want to move him into when he's bigger... how big should he be? I have the filter from the five gallon running in my 20 gallon established tank to start its cycle.

I apologize for all the questions, but this is my first time keeping a baby and I'm already attached!
Attached Images

ameliagypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #2 
oryin

Stick with your current water changes, 100% daily will stress him. I don't think there is a certain size he should be before you move him to the 5G but I could be wrong. Depending on how much gravel you have you could take some out to make it easier on you and have a little extra room for him to swim. Are you using a conditioner?
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 
ameliagypsy

I use API Stress Coat
ameliagypsy is offline   Reply With Quote