Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #1 
Cerulean

Exclamation how to kill algae, it is taking over

I clean it and later it is like it was, and worse each time. It is brown,rust,dark green and stringy. Ughh. Is the only way to be rid of it to start over and clean and boil everything? I hate to have to do that but it is on everything despite water changes and filter. Actually the filter is the worst part, it is nasty, even when replaced with a new one it quickly is infested with algae. Help please
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
I clean it and later it is like it was, and worse each time. It is brown,rust,dark green and stringy. Ughh. Is the only way to be rid of it to start over and clean and boil everything? I hate to have to do that but it is on everything despite water changes and filter. Actually the filter is the worst part, it is nasty, even when replaced with a new one it quickly is infested with algae. Help please
Is it a planted tank? If not, what is the size of the tank and your water change schedule?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #3 
Cerulean

No it is not planted and I do atleast one 50/75 water change a week. It has a filter as I said and only one beta who only gets a few pellets a say and there is no extra good debree left over ,he ways it all.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
No it is not planted and I do atleast one 50/75 water change a week. It has a filter as I said and only one beta who only gets a few pellets a say and there is no extra good debree left over ,he ways it all.
Wow, I don't know what would cause it then. I have never had algae in any of my tanks...hmmm. I hope someone with more experience that me can help you find an answer.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #5 
Cerulean

Thanks and sorry about the message ,stupid auto correct changes half the words I used
Old 09-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #6 
goldfishyman

If your tank is near the window that would cause your algae growth. Move tank away from windows. Reduce time your light is on.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #7 
SnowySurface

Warning: I have a bad habit of spelling Aglae as either Algae or Algea. I do mean the same thing both times I'm just horrible about catching the mistake. T_T

Aglae will happen in a healthy tank set up so it is not a sign of dirt or neglect. The algae appears in newly established tank systems because algae feeds off of the same stuff as beneficial bacteria and plants. Since you don't have any plants to out compete the algae, the algae can grow in place of live plants. That's why you are seeing every color of algae under the sun when you change the filter cartdrige. Not only do you not have live plants to out compete the algae for food but you also remove the beneficial bacteria that was out competing the algae for food. You are unintentionally making an algae paradise. XD

I'm going to give a few quick pointers to help control algae and than explain my reasoning. If I am making an incorrect assumption about your set up, let me know. :)

Do you have lights on during the day? If so, what is the watt and wavelength? If you leave an aquarium light that is 8-13watts and a wavelength of 5500-6500 Kelvin on for more than 10 hours a day, you can get algae whether you have live plants or not.

I get algae in my filter as well because of how close the filter is to my light. I don't know if you have a traditional hood light like I do, but if you have a light that pivots, you can move it a bit so it doesn't shine directly onto the filter. I just ignore the algae as long as it's hair algae (the green, stringy kind) and doesn't grow directly onto my filter cartdrige. If it's on the outside of the filter casing, I just knock it off once a week when I do my partial water change.

To be frank, it sounds like you are at the phase in a newly cycled tank to have algae growth. It's like tank pueberty, all you can do is ride it out until tank adulthood. Leave your filter alone, adjust how your tank gets light, spot clean the areas with the most algae, and let your tank age. That is all you can to do. :)

Last edited by SnowySurface; 09-18-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added a note
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote