Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #1 
PaulO

Angry Horrid Water XC

So I tested my city's tap water today (out of the faucet)...the ammonia was about .5 - 1 (ARGH!!!!!) This really does explain a lot, I am pretty much doing water changes every other day in my tank because the ammonia builds up SO FAST, (50% changes on a 10 gallon) I need some brain power to come up with some ideas I only have 2 at the moment. 1-Use water from a filtering machine (less expensive but no trace minerals) 2-Bottled water(EXPENSIVE!!! but trace minerals) So If anyone has any input that would really help. If these are my only two choices i either need some options on good mineral supplements or mineral rich bottled water company (I live in Cali so anything that is localish or easily accessible here is a must) thanks for reading about me crying over my city's horrid water quality.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #2 
ZergyMonster

Prime water conditioner detoxifies ammonia and nitrites. It will still be read as having ammonia but it will not harm the fish; this makes it easy to cycle a tank because you will still have the ammonia and nitrites for the bacteria to grow and it won't harm your fish.

Do keep in mind that it won't detoxify it forever so water changes every week with the addition of prime two times a week until your tank is cycled and you will have a great home for fish.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 
PaulO

Like I said I'm doing water changes twice a week and it's still hard to keep in check. I had bought some mollies to help cycle the tank to provide ammonia but now I've realized it's pointless since the water itself has it *sigh*, I think I will let the mollies run their course in the tank finish up the cycle fishless if need be and go on from there.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote