Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #1 
lvandert

I'm seem to have made a good choice lol

3 years ago lol! When I started looking into schools that offered meteorology degrees there wasn't many around, and none were close to home. So I figured if I got to move might as well move where its going to be nicer on my bank account. So Now I'm in Rapid City SD and I got to South Dakota School Of Mines and Technology. It was about 10 grand cheaper than going to school in MN where I'm originally from.

Now the real reason I made this post, My school has made the international and national news in the past week. Earlier in the week this report was made on NBC http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...barcode-993358 and now this one was just released from the LA Times http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5015161.story I'm not studying in either of those fields but it makes me feel all proud of me for picking the school I did.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would be proud, too! Pretty cool.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
TheCrabbyTabby

Neeto! Are you going to be one of those storm chaser people who go looking for tornadoes and hurricanes and studying the data you get from being right on the edge? If my memory dictates, there was a show about that on Discovery not to terribly long ago. It was thrilling to watch those people study that sort of weather in the way that they did.

You'd be in the right area to study tornadoes.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 
lvandert

I plan on being where ever they put me lol. I'd love to be in the field but I'd be just as happy behind a desk or camera (not so much the latter though, I have terrible stage fright), as long as its something weather related. I might even end up at NASA for all I know lol. the national weather service has had a few issues hiring entry level employees since a law passed in 2011; out of 50 applicants none got hired. Our school is trying to provide more opportunity for us meteorologists but outside of those two I'm only looking at the army/navy/airforce.

More recently I've been contemplating declaring my minor in Mathematics for the added probability of teaching :P Major in meteorology, teach 5th grade math HAHAHA!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

My dad majored in math, so he could have gone on to teach it if he wanted. Instead he chose the life of being at a desk, working at a computer for a few major corporations. PPG, Belk (that's a southern chain of department stores) and finally Lowe's. He worked his behind off to get out of the blue collar life he was born into and into the white collar life he wanted for us, his family.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #6 
lvandert

Yeah I know someone who has a masters in mechanical engineering and does bartending lol! You never end up where you expect to, this I know. But having a degree doesn't hurt anyone's chances lol
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

That isn't always true. My brother, who lives in the heart of Texas, is currently studying a foreign language as his major. Naturally you'd think he'd be studying Spanish. Ooooh nooo. He had to go and pick French. Mainly because he has this romantic notion to live abroad, or at the very least, take a year or so long trip there.

Unfortunately, his idea of abroad is Quebec. Before that, it was Australia. Yeah. I love my kid brother to bits, but he doesn't really think things through very well.