Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 
Souliebird

Betta floating veritical

Hi, I have a Betta, named Oscar, who up until I changed his tank today was fine. Now he is floating vertically, with his head towards the bottom of the tank when he isn't swimming around. He keeps rubbing himself against his rocks and the little chest in his tank. He also keeps going to the surface and sticking his face out of the water before diving back down. He's never acted like this and I am worried. I have had him for a little over two weeks.

Housing
What size is your tank? One gallon. I plan to get a bigger tank
What temperature is your tank? About room temperature, which for me is mid 70s to mid 80s.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Fully
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaWater conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The white tips of his fins have turned a little brown
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Noted above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few minutes after changing his tank today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him a little over two weeks.
Souliebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Did you forget to add the conditioner after the last water change? or maybe something nasty got into his tank - like a chemical that was on your hand or something?

Maybe try doing another 100% water change and rinse everything in his tank including gravel and decor.

also did you slowly acclimate him into this clean water or did you just plop him in there?

I'm thinking something along the lines of heavy metal poisioning or shock but I am no fish doctor
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #3 
Souliebird

I didn't add the right amount of conditioner to his tank, I think. I changed the water again and added more. I let him acclimate to his water. I took out his chest and he seems to be doing better. He is still swimming to the top and sticking his head out of the water to get air, however.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #4 
Jully

Is the water to hot? Or too cold? If it's boiling hot that could be a problem. Put ice in a bag and zip the bag and let the ice float, if it's like boiling hot water.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #5 
Souliebird

When I refill the bowl, I put it a little warmer than room temperature, never too hot or cold.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #6 
Jully

Do you have any aquarium salt, if his fins are turning a little brown try treating him with a little bit of aquarium salt, only do this for 10 days maximum.

I would lower the water level so it's easier for him to swim to breath.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #7 
Souliebird

When I first got him, the tips of his fins were bright white. Now they just look a little dirty. I was going to get some epsom salt to try and help him? Should I get aquarium salt instead?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

epsom salt is good for internal things - like bloating. Aquarium salt is good for external things like fin rot. If you use salt- its 1 teaspoon per gallon, premix it and make sure the salt is disolved before adding to the tank.

rubbing aginst decor can be a sign of parasites...but it seems odd that he started it after a water change.

you can try pming oldfishlady or sakura8 for some help.

sticking his head out of the water? like alot or just a little. They do bob up to the surface to breathe air and that is normal but if he is trying to jump out of the water, that is not normal.

The color change on his fins may be his normal coloring. Sometimes as they get older, or if they were in bad conditions - like most pet shops - after being in clean, warm water- they color up. The guy in my avatar was flesh colored when i picked him up (his ammonia was over an 8.0 and his fins were missing) Now he is bright red with blue. Also some bettas have a marble gene - they may start out white but end up blue and red. Others start out dark blue and can turn white.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #9 
Souliebird

Thank you for the salt clear up. I will get both. Since I have taken his chest out, he has not rubbed against anything. He is looking better and being more active. He is still acting strange though.

Before, he would just stick his lips out of the water, but now he is literally sticking his head out of the water, up to his gills. This is what is worrying me the most.

Tags
betta, sick, vertical