Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #31 
Sakura8

Hi tn102 and welcome to the forum. First, you are not a bad fishkeeper. You are on the forum, making every effort to learn and change your betta's habitat. A BAD fishkeeper would've just let the fish rot away and die without every doing anything.

Secondly, the fin rot is most likely not your fault. You've only had him since Sunday so my guess is this rot of his was brewing well before you got him. So many of the bettas we get from the pet stores are already sick because of the terrible conditions they are kept in at the store. But the rot doesn't look too advanced so I think we can nip it. Teeney's already given you some great advice about using AQ salt to treat him. That should help a great deal. In addition, I believe she mentioned warm water? That will also help a lot. When a tropical fish like a betta is in water that is much colder than it is used to, its immune system becomes compromised and it is that much more susceptible to disease. Keeping the water at 78-80 F will help keep that immune system strong so he can fight off his infection.

Another thing you can do to help him is feed protein rich foods like frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. I understand he's been reluctant to eat which isn't surprising if he isn't feeling well. He may be more willing to eat frozen foods. All you can do is keep trying. Sometimes even healthy bettas will take a week or more to settle in and eat so this isn't uncommon.

I think you will do a fine job treating him. Believe me, if you returned him to the store he would only get worse and he might be purchased by someone who wouldn't even try to help him. You'll do just fine. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #32 
tn102

I'll try to get a picture of him soon. I'm gonna keep trying as he didn't loose that fin. I watched him today and he just keeps it next to his body, but still moves it, so it looks like it's missing. Any reason for this?

When I changed his water today I gave him some flakes just before I changed it. He still takes a bit into his mouth and spits is back out. Is this normal too? it's like he wants to eat, but then he tastes the flakes or pellets and just spits them back out.

Is there anything I can add to help repair the fins? the dorsal only has 1 little strand torn away, but the bottom fin looks pretty ragged.
tn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Sounds like he may just be clamping a little with the fin. When he feels a bit better he'll probably spread it out more.

For his eating . . . my best advice is try a different food or a frozen food. Good pellet brands are Omega One Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula. Again, it could take a week for him to feel like eating.

I can't recall if she mentioned this but you can also use API Stress Coat in the water to help stimulate healing. A source of tannins, either from Indian Almond Leaf or naturally dried oak leaves, can also help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #34 
tn102

What does a bubble nest look like? They build those when they are happy, correct? there was about a 50-cent piece sized group of bubbles in there when I woke up this morning.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #35 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn102 View Post
What does a bubble nest look like? They build those when they are happy, correct? there was about a 50-cent piece sized group of bubbles in there when I woke up this morning.
It sounds like you've got a bubble nest there!
Bubble nest making is instinctive, it doesn't always mean they're happy.
Some bettas have been found in cups or even sick, making bubble nests.
I do personally believe that they're more likely to make them in a good environment, but there are exceptions.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #36 
tn102

He is back in his tank, and looking a lot better, only a little red left on his bottom fin. I am going to need a baffle for the filter. He tried to swim along the top, and once he got to where it spills out, he wasn't swimming anymore. It's just where it spills though, the water around the edges of the tank is still. I have to install it on a long side of the tank because of the hood. I raised the water level up a bit for now until I can get a baffle.

He ate some of the flakes yesterday, but wouldn't touch the pellets today.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #37 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn102 View Post
He is back in his tank, and looking a lot better, only a little red left on his bottom fin. I am going to need a baffle for the filter. He tried to swim along the top, and once he got to where it spills out, he wasn't swimming anymore. It's just where it spills though, the water around the edges of the tank is still. I have to install it on a long side of the tank because of the hood. I raised the water level up a bit for now until I can get a baffle.

He ate some of the flakes yesterday, but wouldn't touch the pellets today.
I'm glad to hear he's looking better! :)
Have you read this on making a DIY baffle? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #38 
tn102

Thanks. I tried to make it how it shows, but there is a few problems. I don't have a lid to tape it to, and the bottle I used is very flimsy. Right now it's just a temporary, but I have it parallel to the filter and had to poked a few holes in it. I'll have to get a stronger bottle that won't fold and keep shape a bit better to go over and around like that, since I have to go back to the hook. It works for right now though, I don't know how effective it will be, or if it is putting too much stress on the filter. The filter I have is a Tetra Whisper 10i in case anyone with the same filter has made a baffle for one, or knows how to.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #39 
tn102

Yea, I really must devise something better for a baffle. The filter was making a funny sound, so I took the one off and it instantly quieted down. Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #40 
twolovers101

I have a tetra whisper filter also, and I baffled it with a water bottle. I got it to stay on by making a small slit in the back of the baffle and cutting a small hole into it so that it can be stuck on one of the suction cups, it works quite well and hasn't fallen off yet :D
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote