Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 
leafythegreat

Got my hands on a copy of Walstad's book! Anyone else read it?

So, finally got my hands on a copy of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium! It's too late for my main tank, but I've been thinking about setting up my betta's old 2.5g as a Walstad shrimp tank. It will be nice coming at this and learning about aquariums in general from a scientist's perspective.

I've held off on reading it for a long time because I could never find it in a bookstore for a good price ($40? First edition? USED? Come on! It's a black and white hobbyist's book, not a textbook!) and I don't trust buying used books online.

Today I realized that I live about 1000 feet away from a library of about 3.5 million books, searched it on their online catalog, and promptly smacked myself in the face. It was there. And apparently, it hasn't been touched in two years. So the university library's good for something other than buying coffee and screwing around under the pretense of studying...

Only bad thing is that my excitement will have to fade soon; I have a genetics lab in an hour and approximately one metric buttload of chemistry homework tonight. Augh, always the excitement happens when there's stuff to do!

So, anyone else read it?
leafythegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafythegreat View Post
So, finally got my hands on a copy of Ecology of the Planted Aquarium! It's too late for my main tank, but I've been thinking about setting up my betta's old 2.5g as a Walstad shrimp tank. It will be nice coming at this and learning about aquariums in general from a scientist's perspective.

I've held off on reading it for a long time because I could never find it in a bookstore for a good price ($40? First edition? USED? Come on! It's a black and white hobbyist's book, not a textbook!) and I don't trust buying used books online.

Today I realized that I live about 1000 feet away from a library of about 3.5 million books, searched it on their online catalog, and promptly smacked myself in the face. It was there. And apparently, it hasn't been touched in two years. So the university library's good for something other than buying coffee and screwing around under the pretense of studying...

Only bad thing is that my excitement will have to fade soon; I have a genetics lab in an hour and approximately one metric buttload of chemistry homework tonight. Augh, always the excitement happens when there's stuff to do!

So, anyone else read it?
I haven't been able to read it yet..but, I have read everything I can on her method...it's really cool.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #3 
toad

I haven't read it, but I've been wanting to. I will be checking the libraries around here to see if I can find one :) I really wanted to attempt an NPT on my newest tank, but I chickened out and went with plain pool filter sand and root tabs instead
toad is offline   Reply With Quote