Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolder View Post
I have 5 neon tetra in with my Betta, 4ft tank and only 5 Tetra.

I did have female guppies in there also, but when our summer comes all guppies go in the outside pond because they love the sun.
Besides, they are dirty buggers when they feed on flakes.

That is the one good thing about Tetra, being bottom feeders they keep the tank nice and clean.
Are you thinking of cories? Tetras aren't bottom feeders, they are midswimmers. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

cories are bottom feeders, neones are not even scavengers like some tetras can be (blind cave, skirted)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #13 
dlite

My 29g houses 1 male betta, 2 fancy guppies (1m/1f) 18 neon tetras(10 small/8 medium sized) and about 14 cherry and ghost shrimps. I agree with Bolder, all 10 of my small neon tetras don't touch the flake food until it reaches the gravel I have since added java moss and java fern to my tank to add more hiding spots for all tank mates to reduce possible territorial aggression.
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Whenever adding new fish (such as introducing a betta to neons) rearrange everything. this makes them scout new territory.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #15 
Bolder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Are you thinking of cories? Tetras aren't bottom feeders, they are midswimmers. :)

No, Tetra, yeah they do swim up and down, I see them scavenging on the bottom a lot also, mainly on the bottom.

I have mum and dad out of that tank now as I have put the half grown babies in there, I seem to be getting mostly female Betta.

The Tetra were interested in the smaller fish, no problems yet with them nipping, the girls turn on them in a pack sort of surrounding any aggressor.

I have strange fish, very strange.

I don't think I would add any more varieties of fish since mum and dad went to work again laying more eggs when I put them in a smaller tank, 4ft tank for 2 Betta was a tad wasteful Lol the babies love it.
Bolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #16 
Serai7

I'm glad I read this! I was going to put my betta in a five gallon with neons I"m glad I saw this post first!
As far as which fish bettas are okay with, my friend has had them with guppies and a pleco for two years with no problems. The only one it has an issue with is the angel fish.
Serai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #17 
harleraven

What about with plakats? Are they bad with plakats, too? I really want to try a plakat in my community tank (it will be neons as hubby is dead set on getting neons). I have a cave, some rocks, a little Buddha statue, and a silk plant in there. I plan on putting in some more silk plants, too, of various heights.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #18 
Serai7

I wouldn't put any male betta with any other kind of betta unless it was a female of the same species, and even that should be temporary.
After reading this post I wouldn't put a betta with neons after learning that they nip, but I guess a shorter finned plakat with lots of plants *might* be okay.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #19 
harleraven

Yeah, I'm not putting two bettas together. I'll have another "in case" tank, but I'd love if they all get along.
Posted via Mobile Device
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #20 
Serai7

How do I acclimate my betta from low temp to high temp water?

I want to move my veiltail betta from his 62 degree one gallon bowl into an 82 degree 5 gallon aquarium, what's the best way to acclimate him from such drastic temperature differences to keep him happiest and healthiest? I just think the usual floating them in a bag or little cup for 30 mins and intervals of adding new tank water won't be enough?

p.s. I couldn't figure out how to start my own brand spankin' new post apart from this old one sorry people