Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 
Jully

Exclamation Finrot or Fin regrowth

So recently I was asking about this, and no one really gave me the answer if it was fin regrowth or fin rot, I was able to take a way better picture yesterday so here it is:

This is moon, he used to live in a 1/2 gallon and he got fin rot then I treated him for 5 days with AQ a few months back. I got him this new tank maybe about a month ago? So now I had it for a month or less then 8 weeks, but he now lives in a 3 gallon, at the moment he has no heater because the one I ordered got lost in the mail and when it finally arrived in 2 weeks it was broken and they wouldn't give me a refund so I need to order another one from another place.

Is this fin rot, I have an extra 1/2 but I don't want to put him in there because he would get bored so easily and tend to bite his fins and I would always have to break him up from biting his fins like a dog.

I need answers asap, because his fins are all ragged & spiky I think they are getting longer, but I am not sure...? I need answers asap also because if it's fin rot he had it for a long time now?
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 
lvandert

The picture is too dark and blurry for us to tell any real detail about your fish. Could you shine a flashlight on him and try to take another picture?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #3 
Jully

If you hold CTRL then press the "-" and zoom out, the picture is so much clearer it's just because it's zoom in some reason the image, and you'll be able to see it better.

When I put on the flash it doesn't work that good, I can never take a good picture of it.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #4 
oryin

If they're all black it's rot, if there is any clear, that's regrowth. You have to look really close for the clear and it's really hard to tell in this picture.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

Yes if you can see transparent ends it would be regrowth. If it getting longer i would think it good. If it getting shorter and more split at the ends or more black or has white cottony like patches it bad.
But also extra water changes will help to heal. I do extra water changes for my tail bitter and his fins grow back fast.
How much and how often you carnage his 3 gall?

Also if you do aquarium salt make sure you finish whole course of it which is 10 days. 1-2tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes and betta acclamations. Salt pre mix in one gall jug for the right dosage and make sure it dissolved.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #6 
Jully

I put a little salt in his bag when I was floating him after I did a 100% water change.

Well when he was in the cup it black I believe, but when the light is on it's 'clear' but it's big and a little brown?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #7 
Jully

I zoomed this one out if it helps:

Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

can't see anything on the picture but pretty sure it regrowth by your description.

Don't just add a little bit of the salt ...non-therapeutic dosage doesn't prevent disease and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issues, and can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed...frash,clean,like temp dechlorinated water best prevention.
So i would just continue extra water changes and make sure his fins are healing. I am really think it regrowth and if he is eating and active just watch him. You will know/see if it regrowth. You will see if it getting worse or better.
How often how much you do water changes in his tank?
So i would just watch him i am really think it regrowth and more water changes helps.
If you want to treat him with salt add 1tsp/gall Don't just add a little bit it not going to help. Don't worry about salt dosage it can be up to 3tsp/gall so 1tsp will not stress him out.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 
Jully

I have treated with salt maybe about a month a go, maybe 2 months ago? And I only did a 5 day salt treatment. I don't have a heater for him right now since the one I ordered got lost in the mail & took 4 weeks to arrive, when I finally got it the heater had a crack in it and the top was broken.

So now I need to wait till I can get another heater... And I don't want to put him in a 1/2 gallon because he will bite his tail if I put him back in the 1/2 and I just did a 100% water change yesterday because in the gravel it was filthy with poop, so I had to do 100% water change.

I usually do 50% water changes on my shower days, meaning every 2 - 3 days I will do a 50% water change, then on Saturday I do one more then for a whole week I skip and continue this progress.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

Well you can do easier for you and i think better for fish. Well it what i do for my bettas in 2.5 gall. I actually like 100% water changes. I like to remove all that debris.
I do 1-50% and 1-100% a week. But i am using aged water to keep new water the same temperature as his. This way i don't have to worry about water temperature. I had one accident long time ago. I was busy and completely forget about temperature of his water and i shocked him with temperature difference when i change him. I think new water was like more then 8* warmer then his. He became extremelly lethargic....Since that accident i just using aged water. I know it difficult to do for 10 gall but if you have 3 gall it really help...

For the salt treatment. If you think his tail getting worse( more ragged,appear to stiffen, more splitting between the rays or a diminishing of length or size from the outer edge..) i would threat with salt with daily 100% water changes (acclimation or make sure new water the same temp) for 10 days only.

But if you see that he is getting better i would hold and just keep his water super clean. And i would do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes. Don't afraid to do 100% water changes. I can show you thread that amazed me where someone was doing 100% water changes and betta get from sick malnutrition with no fins to beautiful betta. I think in your situation it will help you-100% .
Check out the link, may be you saw it before though see page 1 and page 42 it the same fish , and page 43 #422 about water changes
www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=108151

Tags
fin rot, is this fin regrowth, urgent answers needed!