Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Tank Dividers

Where can I get them or how can I make them? I was going to get more mice for my go gal but after seeing the wall of horror with all the dead and dying betta fish I decided to turn my 10gal into a four fish recovery home and rescue betta's. That way I can have a large setup to save them and have them recover in. First I need dividers and good ones the fish can't see through. Any help would be appreciated and I'll be very picky on purchased dividers only because I know what a fish can do when he see's his neighbor.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 
DragonFish

That sounds like an awesome plan. xD
For my homemade dividers, I sort of do a somewhat modified version of whats shown here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

What I do is double up on the craft mesh and do a little bit of trimming so that the divider fits snugly without really bending.
My boys can sort of see each other if they're both RIGHT up next to the divider, but the longest I've had anyone flare at one another was a few hours when I first added Arthur in next to Merlin.
I haven't had any mishaps in any of my tanks with the doubled-up mesh dividers, and I'm pretty sure most of my fish don't even know they have tankmates. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Oh, that sounds great. I was never a big fan of dividers because of my fear of fish sneaking over onto the other guys side but if they can't see each other and can't sneak through I'm all for it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Oh yes. Arthur is a very aggressive, feisty sort of personality and he lives in a 4-way-divided 10 gallon without any sort of issues with his neighbors.....his 'evil twin' on the other hand is a different story . He and Merlin only noticed each other briefly when I first introduced him, but I'm pretty sure he has no idea Bruce is on his other side. Likewise, Mephisto and Bruce seem to be completely unaware that they have tankmates at all.
So I'm pretty sure that if they can see each other, its just barely with the doubled-up mesh. Though now that the dividers have grown a nice bit of algae no one can see each other at all no matter how hard they try.

Lol, well since I've started doubling up on the craft mesh and fitting the dividers a little more snugly/precisely I've had absolutely no issues with anyone sneaking over, so I'd like to think that I've figured out a way to at least minimize that issue. xD I don't know of anyone else who has tried this method yet though, so if you decide to try it, I'd love to hear how it works for you!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I certainly will be trying this out. I like the sound of it and the doubling up on the mesh seems safer than just the single which bends a lot and looks like it puts uneven spacing in the tank compartments for each fish. I'll deferentially tell you how it works out.