Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #41 
shi

Quote:
Also some vodka does come in plastic bottles. I had some, I think it was UV, not sure. I'm not a heavy drinker so if I have alcohol it sits around until I throw it out or have a party and make someone else drink it. xD
^LOL
Plastic bottled alcohol is probably bad quality alcohol, but that's definitely a good way to get rid of unwanted drinks XD

I liked this one meme saying YOLO is dumb people language for Carpe Diem.

Sorry, I'm so off-topic right now.
shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #42 
otter

Its a sin to say yolo?
that would be cool.

Yeah its ridiculous how badly people treat betta.
I.... Cant.... even.....
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #43 
kelseyleah343

There's no reason to be so rude to people who are trying to advise her on how to keep that poor betta alive.. that is absolutely awful. This is why I maintain that some people seriously shouldn't be allowed to purchase/adopt, if they don't have the will to at least briefly educate themselves on the needs of the animal they're bringing home.. it isn't a "when you feel like it" kind of thing, it's an obligation. Bettas can't adapt to living in cold, small spaces in the same way that a dog can't adapt to living in a locked car on a 100*F day. Seriously, how stupid can you be? I had to cool off and backspace a few choice words out of this post before I clicked submit...
kelseyleah343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #44 
otter

ooh they should make little fliers for people who want to purchase a betta, and its like a betta info card so they just have to read it, and then they'er ok
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #45 
Luimeril

i went and reblogged that gal's post. the one that called everyone 'betta f**ks'. and this is what i said. personally, i find that by being kind, understanding, and not shoving things down people's throats, it helps more and doesn't get backlash from them. also, complimenting their fish, and bringing up how much happier it'll be in a larger tank, and the fact that you can decorate the tanks more, helps a lot, too.

(censored due to the forum being family-friendly)

Quote:
hi there. i’m one of those ‘betta f**ks’ you speak so highly about. i’m sorry you got some nasty backlash from keeping your betta in a bottle, but it really isn’t a good home for him. it’s a long post, but here’s some reasons why:

for one, the leftover alcohol in that bottle, no matter how good you rinse it, could kill him. washing it with soap will, too.

for two, bettas in the wild, are NOTHING like the bettas we keep as pets. ours, are bred to look pretty, and are therefor A LOT more fragile than wild-types. i own a wild-type plakat, who’s three years old now, and she’s outlived the crowntail male AND veiltail male i bought at the same time, which proves that.

also, in the wild, they don’t live in puddles. they live in rice patties and steams, THOUSANDS of gallons. only in puddles during the dry season, and even then, when the water quality turns to crap(which can take just days), they jump out, into a fresh puddle, and keep doing that, until they reach a wide ditch or stream.

where’s the room to move in that bottle? not very much exercise there. bettas, contrary to popular myth, are VERY active fish.

you don’t NEED 10 gallons. one gallon tanks are okay, if you have a way to heat the water safely and change it every few days or so(they’re TROPICAL fish. need heaters). i own 11 bettas. two are in one gallon tanks. one is in a 1 1/2 gallon tank. most are in 2 gallon tanks. one gallon is the minimum suggested size(and smallest tank you can buy in the UK. fun fact!)

your betta is lovely, and can live up to 5 years, but in that bottle, he won’t last a year at the most. they’re very fun pets, if you take the time and spend a little more money than you’d probably like, to keep them happy. my oldest betta was 4 years old!

if you want to calm down and listen to reason, you can put the vodka bottle in his tank, if you get him something larger than that. or, decorate it with your favorite colors, cute decorations… i’m getting a Squidward house and Spongebob house for my 10 gallon. i don’t like Spongebob too much, but they’re still pretty cute decorations.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #46 
LadyVictorian

I don't think even being nice will work on a thick skulled teen. they just don't care about anyone but themselves. I saw them all the time on mouse forums. "Oh these two boys I got are so cute together." "You shouldn't keep males together they will kill one another." "Nu un shut up you don't know anything." Week later. "Sparky killed Snickers and now Snickers has an infection from his wounds." "WELL TAKE HIM TO A VET." "No he's just a mouse." "Well then he will die too." "Nu uh." Three days later. "Snickers died." "YOU EFFING MORON AND ANIMAL ABUSER GRRRRR." People wonder why I am short tempered about this abuse to animals. It's because I have seen this same bs over 50 times and it's just not even...NO there is NO excuse anymore. Either you take care of your pets or don't get them. It's so freaking simple. These people just do it because they don't care about killing animals for their enjoyment. They just want attention at the risk of something else's life.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #47 
Luimeril

it honestly depends on the person. you can't lump all teens together, just because some are little brats like that. she may genuinely care for Pootang, but felt that she had to get defensive because of the way people jumped on her. compare "you horrible person! you should rot in jail for keeping your fish in that bottle!" to "your fish is beautiful, but don't you think he'd be even prettier if you could add more plants, to make him really stand out?"

i've seen that method work on youtube ALL the time. i used to go talk to people who kept their bettas in small containers, and many of them would message me a week or so later, telling me they went out and got bigger tanks.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #48 
shi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it honestly depends on the person. you can't lump all teens together, just because some are little brats like that. she may genuinely care for Pootang, but felt that she had to get defensive because of the way people jumped on her. compare "you horrible person! you should rot in jail for keeping your fish in that bottle!" to "your fish is beautiful, but don't you think he'd be even prettier if you could add more plants, to make him really stand out?"

i've seen that method work on youtube ALL the time. i used to go talk to people who kept their bettas in small containers, and many of them would message me a week or so later, telling me they went out and got bigger tanks.
^Well said
shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #49 
ItsKourtneyYoC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlelia View Post
A sin? What? It's just a stupid phrase kids are saying now because they think it's hip.
Here's a wiki explanation on it even (under the cultural impact section):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YOLO_(m...ultural_impact

Thats just what I've heard. Not sure why it would be seen as that though

Here is an article on it i just looked up.
http://www.4regeneration.com/yolo/

"The Bible says the complete opposite. The Bible says that if we LOVE our life, we will lose it. The phrase YOLO has far more implications than meets the eye. YOLO is a phrase that stands for sinful hedonism — “live your life to the fullest, because you only have one life to live.”
YOLO stands for the idea that we own our lives — that our lives belong to us and exist for pleasure, vanity and enjoyment. YOLO is a movement that is directly against God and His very being. But the Bible says otherwise. The Bible says that the person who loves his life will lose it. Christians react to YOLO with Biblical truth: YOLO is a lie — though it is true that you only live once, you will certain die twice, one of those deaths being your physical death, and the other being eternal death in hell. If this is the case, then the world is in grave danger."
ItsKourtneyYoC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #50 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shi View Post
Oh my goodness, I wish my vegan friend would figure this out. She claims she loves animals, and wants to buy them all to rescue them, but she doesn't even take care of the dog she got from the shelter...It lives in her garage in her condo, is obese, and doesn't exercise.
Or my other friend who wanted a dog because all her friends had one...someone's dog had puppies, so she took one, and it lives in a 5 1/2' x 7' room...no exercise, not allowed to play in the yard, gets human food (because he "likes" eating it, stuff like grapes, bananas, oranges etc.)...poor dogs.
That is two cases of animal abuse which is a felony. I love fish so much I obsess about them and refuse to eat them.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote