Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #31 
a123andpoof

I have a baby and I have no idea how old he/she was when I got her. maybe someone can tell me? I think its a she but still a little to early to tell. But she is slowly coloring up and just got upgraded to a 2.5g. This picture is from the day I bought her/him so if anyone has a guess i can get a estimate based on how long iv had her.

a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #32 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
I have a baby and I have no idea how old he/she was when I got her. maybe someone can tell me? I think its a she but still a little to early to tell. But she is slowly coloring up and just got upgraded to a 2.5g. This picture is from the day I bought her/him so if anyone has a guess i can get a estimate based on how long iv had her.

I would guess when you got him/her "she" was about 3 months old. Any younger and "she" wouldn't survive the trip. Because these are the runts, it is really hard to guess a true age. :D
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #33 
a123andpoof

Okay so she is probably around 4 months now. Cool how long about till she starts to show the gender? I am pretty sure it is a she but I could be wrong.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #34 
Coppermoon

By the pix you posted, "she" looks clear bodied. Shine a light behind her (you want to be looking "through" her). You may be able to see the egg sack. Most likely it is a boy, but you really can't tell. I had a dt female show for 2 months as a female only to turn out to be a male. I also had a short finned HM girl end up being a male and won his class at Convention......and I'm an experienced breeder!!! LMAO.

NLS Grow was mentioned as a good source of food...I totally agree!!! The pellets are actually small enough for them to eat early on. The problem is getting them to eat them if they are not used to it. I have ADULT imports that won't touch pellets yet. They are getting white worms (not grindals...) and offered pellets daily first.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #35 
teeneythebetta

a123 poof, approx how long is she?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #36 
bettababe89

My baby was floating weird the first day and all the breeders I asked said mashed pea flake for swim bladder or bloating .i didnt know it wasnt good. I let it try a nibble of raw salmon (mega tiny) and it was game on. I just posted about being a walmart employee and caring for bettas . can any of you give me advise on my post? it'd mean so much.
bettababe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #37 
bettababe89

WOW ktlelia, what a hunk you have! i lovvvvvve the colors . there were no white babies at this store. what did you feed him as a tiny tot and what are you feeding him now? if you dont mind sharing your success :)
bettababe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #38 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababe89 View Post
My baby was floating weird the first day and all the breeders I asked said mashed pea flake for swim bladder or bloating .i didnt know it wasnt good. I let it try a nibble of raw salmon (mega tiny) and it was game on. I just posted about being a walmart employee and caring for bettas . can any of you give me advise on my post? it'd mean so much.
No don't do that! For bloating you can feed frozen daphnia, which is a natural laxative.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote