Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

A few plants

Okay so I am looking into these plants and I want to know which would be the best for my tank. I wouldn't mind having them all but obviously if they don't fit they won't work. Also plants that don't need substrate. I have gravel in my tank.

Wanting low care, low light sort of plants that are beginner plants to to speak.

Here is what I have sort of picked.

Java Moss
Java Fern (do they need substrate?)
Moss Ball
Hornwort
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #2 
toad

All good choices. Java ferns do not need substrate. I have mine tied to a piece of slate, and she's happily making baby ferns :)

Also, water wisteria is a beautiful floating plant; it can be rooted, but I like mine to float. Hornwort is great, and very pretty, but drops a lot of needles that need to be vacuumed up.

ETA: anubias are awesome too, and don't like to be in substrate.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Oooh I might have to look into anubis as well then, I know java moss and ferns are on my list for sure now. I havn't seen the whisteria but I'm going to look now.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 
Meggie6347

For me, sometimes hornwort does great, sometimes it makes a huge mess. Right no it's growing like a weed...

Crypts are also great. I have also had great experience with swords.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I really wish I had gotten that java fern yesterday. Maybe tomorrow after riding lessons we can stop and pick it up. Hmmm...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #6 
shi

I have to agree with water wisteria, so easy to take care of hahaha I have a piece that my cousin nipped off from her plant, and it's growing as fast as my betta baby .___. If not faster...hahaha

It definitely looks great floating (: Like a mini tree of life (or, that's how mine is looking like)
shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Here is what I have right now, or plan to get soonish, java fern and moss, whisteria, anubia. Now the question is where can I get it? I have looked at petsmart and petco and not too trusting of their plants. They look a little close to death. Is there a place that can ship them and can at least grantee no snails?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #8 
maycausedeath

If your local petsmart/petco has the plants in clear plastic tubes those are usually healthy and snail free, but they will only have the anubias and java fern.
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #9 
toad

My best plants came out of those little tubes at Petco LOL. I have also ordered plants, and they came full of snails; not that I minded the snails, but... A few of the ordered plants have since passed on, but all my tube plants are alive and healthy.

I got my wisteria from a tube - it was labeled java fern, and I didn't know what it was until long after I put in it the tank. So glad they mislabeled it, because I love it. Started out with 5 little stems that didn't look like much, and they have grown so much, I've had to remove some of them because they completely covered the top of the tank. And, when the leaves break off, they turn into baby plants :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #10 
shi

Once again, agreeing with toad, my cousin got her plants from Petco and most of them are doing great, even though they came with a pond snail and ramhorn snail, they should be easily rid of (though my cousin keeps hers because they're entertaining, or, at least, I think they're entertaining). She got bacopa, anacharis, and wisteria from her local Petco, and only the bacopa died because her snails found it the most delicious...lol
shi is offline   Reply With Quote