Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #1 
Belvedeerthebetta

Exclamation Help?!

I cleaned my tank yesterday because of high amonnia test, I then noticed some brown, rust colored spots which would only come off bottom of tank with HARD scrubbing. I finally used a LITTLE bleach because I was afraid the brown spots would make my betta sick. I rinsed in very hot water over and over at least 6 times. This morn, our fish isnt himself, he isnt swimming, he did finally eat only one pellet--he is usually voratious. he is at bottom of tank.. i tried to take him out to change the water AGAIN, but when I put him in his small bowl with no filter he couldnt swim to top for air and almost died from no air. I QUICKLY just put him back into his tank with his filter. He slowly came back to life and actually seemed to improve a bit, but now he's back to bottom of tank. Doesnt seem able to swim for some reason. Did the bleach do this??? I rinsed SO well, i thought it would be ok. Whats my best option?? Just wait?? Thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
Belvedeerthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

What size if your tank and how often do you do water changes ? Is your tank heated?

I think if I were you I would put him back in a cup with some fresh conditioned water that is as close to the same temp of the water he is now in and give that tank a very good rinsing again over and over and maybe let it sit outside in the sun for awhile. After that make up some more conditioned water as close to the same temp of water he is in and put him back in the tank and keep and close eye on his and see how he does.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 
Belvedeerthebetta

Im new to this sight-trying to learn how to navigate, sorry. ITs a 5 gal tank heated, filtered. I afraid to take him out...last time he stopped breathing until I put him in filtered tank again! He couldnt swim to top it seemed..?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #4 
Belvedeerthebetta

thank you! I am bit afraid to take him out again, last time he stopped breathing ,, it seemed he couldnt get air or get to top for air. He was in a cup a long time yesterday because it took me over an hour to scrub those brown spots on tank. my tank is heated, 5 gall with filter
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Okay since he was so stressed yesterday I guess it would be best to leave him in the tank. Was he having any trouble swimming before you took him out to clean the tank ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #6 
lelei

If you keep him in that tank, the 5 g you may have to lower the water level to allow easier access to the surface, I would try that and watch him closely to see if he is breathing alright, you did condition the water when you did your water change right? It's easy to forget, but for now keep him stress free, and if he does better in his 5 gal, just keep water level low for 24 hrs with close watch.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 
LizzyP

Bleach is very scary stuff. I never use it, except on my acrylic tank which I can put in the dishwasher after. I've never used it in my 5.5 gallon.

As for right now, just keep the water level low. Watch closely for 24 hours. If possible, use some IAL or dried & washed oak leaves to release some soothing tannins.

Keep us posted.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #8 
Belvedeerthebetta

Unhappy Thank you

Thank you for your replies...I lost him and am very sad and mad at myself. I cleaned the tank again, he did ok in the cup, but slowly lost his battle. Is there something I should keep on hand for emergencies? Now my last betta isnt acting himself after HIS water change, and i DID NOT use bleach with his change. The only thing I did differently from what I normally do was NOT let water set overnite. I let it set for a few hours and thought that would be ok. I DID condition. Is that going to kill my other one??? Also a 5 gal. heated tank, with filter. Should I set water out overnite and change HIS water again?? I hate this--these are fantastic fish and i hate making stupid mistakes like this.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

:/ anytime you use bleach, make sure to use extra extra water conditioner. maybe 10 times the actual dose and let it sit in the tank for a while, with the tank filled up with water....

After soaking it in Water conditioner, you should be good to go....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote